1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is a Hydrogen bomb called a hydrogen bomb?

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    I know that a teller-ulam device uses lithium deuteride as its nuclear fuel.

I know very little about chemistry, but why is a hydrogen bomb called a hydrogen bomb, if its nuclear fuel is lithium deuteride?

Is it the hydrogen atom in the lithium deuteride that creates the fusion process?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2
    Lithium bomb sounds sissified.

Really though it's the tritium and deuterium that undergoes fusion.

4. Jan 13, 2012 #3
    Deuteride as in LiD, is hydrogen with 1 neutron and 1 proton. In the flux of the detonation, the lithium decomposes into tritium (2 for 1) in the case of lithium6, and tritium and a neutron in the case of lithium7. As I recall, lithium is 60/40 6 and 7. Or maybe I have that backwards . . .

Anyhow, the lithium deuteride is pretty much all hydrogen isotopes by the time it is consumed and 'burned' into helium.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook