1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Initial Value Problem / Differential Equation

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    Thanks for clicking!

So, I've got a problem here that I'm stuck on. I need to find the general solution to

y' = (y3 + 6y2 + 9y)/9

I found this to be

ln|y| + (3/(y+3)) - ln|y+3| = x + c

but I would appreciate it if you would check my work. Anywho, once I have the general solution I need to solve it for y(2) = -3. Obviously, plugging -3 in for y creates a problem in the second and third terms above.

Is there a way to rewrite the general solution or solve it in such a way that it won't contain any undefined terms when evaluated like it does now?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Shoot, sorry for the non-descriptive title. I accidentally clicked post before finishing it. I meant it to say "[Calc II] Initial Value Problem / Differential Equation." My bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2
    I got the same general solution, what do you mean by undefined terms?

4. Mar 12, 2012 #3
    I mean that when I plug -3 in for y, I get a zero in the denominator of the second term and ln(0) for the third term, both of which are undefined. I was wondering if there is any way to rewrite this or to solve this differently so -3 will not cause this discontinuity.

5. Mar 12, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi enkrypt0r! :smile:
    erm :redface:look at the equation! :rolleyes:

if y = -3, what is y' ? :wink:

6. Mar 12, 2012 #5
    Hi, Tim!

I never thought to look at the original equation! This evaluates to 0 = 0. I'm afraid I don't know what this says about the differential equation. Does this mean that it's undefined, as my attempts to evaluate it have shown?

7. Mar 12, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oooh :cry:think! :smile:

if y' = 0, then … ? :wink:

8. Mar 12, 2012 #7
    Ummm... I'm feeling stupid here, haha. Sorry. I'm brainstorming but coming up with nothing beyond the obvious. We could integrate both sides and see that y is a constant, but we already know that. I'm sorry, I'm at a loss.

9. Mar 12, 2012 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If y = 0 or y = -3, then y' = 0, which says that y is a constant.

In your work, the tacit assumption is that y != 0 and y != -3.

10. Mar 12, 2012 #9
    Yeah, y=0 and y=-3 are "equilibria" solutions to the de. This sort of de is known as autonomous, because there are no t's on the right side of the equation. So, no matter what t is, the slope at y=0 and y=-3 is always zero.

So, why can't we plug in to solve the initial value problem?

11. Mar 12, 2012 #10
    If you look at the direction field, I think you might find that more than one solution curve would satisfy the initial condition. Thus, there is no particular value of c that would net you a unique solution curve. Someone correct me if this is wrong, because I have never seen this case before! That's my analysis though.

12. Mar 13, 2012 #11

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For the initial value problem, y' = (1/9)(y3 + 6y2 + 9y), y(2) = -3, we see that y' = (1/9)y(y + 3)2.

If y = -3, then y' = 0, so y(x) [itex]\equiv[/itex] C. Since y(2) = -3, C = -3, so the solution to the IVP is y(x) [itex]\equiv[/itex] -3. Are you saying that you think there are other solutions to this initial value problem?

13. Mar 13, 2012 #12

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi enkrypt0r! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

the solution comes in three parts …

y = -3 (for all t) is a solution

y = 0 (for all t) is a solution

and the other solutions are all the solutions of

dy/(y3 + 6y2 + 9y) = dt/9

(you multiplied by 0/0 when you got that equation, if y = -3 or 0, so you illegitmately lost those solutions :wink:)

if you draw a graph of some specimen solutions, you'll probably find that they "asymptote up to" the vertical lines at -3 and 0,

and (i'm guessing here :redface:) that one of y = 0 and v = -3 is stable and the other is unstable :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook