Initial velocity of a snowmobile collision

In summary: No, you are not supposed to use the equations to determine step 2. You are supposed to use the equations to determine step 1.2) You can find driver A's post-collision velocity by computing time it took him to fall 0.5m to hit snow surface, and knowing that in that time he traveled 8m find velocity.time=0.5m/8m=0.25svelocity=8m/0.25s=16m/s
tawrper
Hey everyone;

I am a grade 12 student and I am totally stuck on this question and would appreciate your help. I don't want just the answer, I need help with the steps so that I understand how to do this type of problem.

Here's the question:

A police officer arrives at the scene of a collision of the two snowmobiles to find both drivers unconscious. When two vehicles collided, their skis became entangled and the two snowmobiles remained locked together as they skidded to a stop. One driver was thrown clear of the mishap, but the other driver remained in the drivers seat. The posted speed limit in the area is 60km/h. One witness described how driver A was thrown horizontally at a constant speed from his seat (0.5 m above the snow surface) to his final resting position.

the initial angle between driver A and Driver B is 30 degrees

Driver A was thrown 8m

Mass of Driver A 80kg

Mass of driver B 90kg

Mass of vehicle A 270 kg

Mass of vehicle B 310kg

Before collision: Vehicle B East30degrees North Vehicle A East

Direction of entangles vehicles after collision East 15 degrees North

length if final skid 18m

displacement of driver A from point of impact: 8m

Time from impact to end skid 2.5s

I need to determine the initial velocities of both snowmobiles.

here is a picture of the question:

IMG_0193-1.jpg

Thank you so much in advance. Again, I'm not fishing for answers, I'm in grade 12 and what i don't learn will come back to haunt me in university

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum (mass*velocity) is conserved
Consider the momentum in X and y separately

There are 3 parts to this problem.

1) Assuming constant deceleration, you can find post-collision velocity of the two snowmobiles. You know the distance they traveled and the time. That should give you deceleration rate and initial velocity.

2) You can find driver A's post-collision velocity by computing time it took him to fall 0.5m to hit snow surface, and knowing that in that time he traveled 8m find velocity.

3) Using the fact that momentum is conserved in x and y directions, you should be able to write two equations of the form momentum-before = momentum-after and solve them to find the two unknowns: velocities of snowmobiles A and B.

I would imagine that you should be capable of carrying out each of these steps individually, but let us know if you have difficulties with any of them.

K^2 said:
There are 3 parts to this problem.

1) Assuming constant deceleration, you can find post-collision velocity of the two snowmobiles. You know the distance they traveled and the time. That should give you

velocity = displacement/time

the given time is 2.5s, and the given distance is 18 m. Wouldn't this give me the final velocity of once the two vehicles are connected and not the individual velocities?

Yes, that will give you velocity once they are connected, which you need for the 3rd step.

But you are computing it wrong. Distance/time gives you average velocity. You know that the snowmobiles were slowing down, because they came to a stop. So you should be using a formula that involves acceleration.

thank you, I now understand that we are supposed to use the kinematic equations to determine step 1. Are we supposed to use the equations to determine step 2?

1. What is the initial velocity of a snowmobile collision?

The initial velocity of a snowmobile collision depends on various factors such as the speed of the snowmobile, the mass of the snowmobile and the object it collides with, and the angle of collision. It is typically calculated using the conservation of momentum principle.

2. How is the initial velocity of a snowmobile collision calculated?

The initial velocity of a snowmobile collision can be calculated by using the formula v = (m1v1 + m2v2) / (m1 + m2), where v is the initial velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and v1 and v2 are their respective velocities before the collision. This formula is based on the principle of conservation of momentum.

3. Does the initial velocity of a snowmobile collision affect the severity of the impact?

Yes, the initial velocity of a snowmobile collision can significantly affect the severity of the impact. A higher initial velocity means the snowmobile has more kinetic energy, which can result in a more forceful collision and potentially cause more damage. It is essential to control the speed of a snowmobile to prevent severe collisions.

4. Can the initial velocity of a snowmobile collision be reduced?

Yes, the initial velocity of a snowmobile collision can be reduced by taking precautions such as driving at a safe speed, using proper braking techniques, and avoiding collisions with other objects. It is crucial to follow safety guidelines and regulations when operating a snowmobile to minimize the risk of collisions.

5. How does the initial velocity of a snowmobile collision affect the safety of the rider?

The initial velocity of a snowmobile collision can significantly impact the safety of the rider. A higher initial velocity increases the likelihood of severe injuries in case of a collision. It is crucial to wear appropriate safety gear and adhere to safety guidelines to protect oneself from the impact of a collision.