1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Initial velocity of projectile given angle and max height

1. Aug 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile was fired across level ground at an initial angle of 43.00 degrees above the horizontal. During its flight, it reached a maximum height of 2974 metres. What was the initial speed of this projectile?

2. Relevant equations

I assume that the correct equation to use is Vy2 = V0y² - 2g(y - y0).

3. The attempt at a solution

To be honest I'm not even sure how to go about it. Given the equation, I would rearrange for V0y² however that doesn't seem to work at all. I'm not even sure what the value of Vy has to be. I also suspect the angle comes into play, but I'm not sure what it can tell me. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2012 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Your method is correct.
    At the top of the flight, there is no vertical component of velocity, so [itex] v_y = 0 [/itex] there. You are also correct that the angle is involved. Indeed, [itex] v_o\sinθ= v_{oy} [/itex] and it is this [itex] v_o [/itex] that you are solving for.

4. Aug 26, 2012 #3
    You're a life savior. It's this vo sinθ= voy that I wasn't able to get to. I got the answer right. Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook