1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Initial velocity required for object to have x ke at y height

1. Aug 8, 2013 #1
    ... factoring in fluid dynamics, not just Newtonian physics...

At a given height, the object will possess 75% of the kinetic energy of when it initially began moving.
    Mass is irrelevant.

Given variables:

-Drag coefficient
    -Fluid density
    -Cross-sectioned area
    -Displacement
    -Initial and final kinetic energy (sort of; there's not exact value, but I'm just using 1 for initial and 0.75 for final)
    -Acceleration/deceleration due to gravity
    -etc

Missing variables:

Time and initial velocity.

Relevant equations would be the kinetic energy equation, drag equation, and deceleration from force, as well as some basic kinematics ones.

I'm trying to create a differential equation where time is isolated on one side while velocity is removed, but I'm having trouble.

If anyone could post the differential equation, with proper steps for derivation, I'd appreciate it :smile:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Would you like fries with that?

I'm sorry, PF rules require you to show some effort in order to receive help. We don't take requests to provide solutions.

4. Aug 9, 2013 #3
    Yes, fries would be good.

Anyways, I've tried deriving it myself, but *cough* I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I got stuck deriving the kinematics part >.>

[itex]2Vi*t+\sqrt{3}*Vi*t-\sqrt{3}*a*t^2-d=0[/itex]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  5. Aug 14, 2013 #4
    Tried to calculate what's required to reach that height first, but I don't know how to work with when a variable depends on itself.

[itex]V=V_i-((\rho*C_d*A*V^2)/2M - G)T[/itex]

[itex]D=\int_0 (V_i-((\rho*C_d*A*V^2)/2M - G)T)dT[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted