1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Injevtive/surjective Problem - Algebra

1. Jul 19, 2013 #1
    So, i have to analyze the next function and see if it is injective and surjective
    f: NXN → N
    f(x,y)=x+y

i know that a function to be injective f(a)=f(b) → a=b

but here i have that f(a,c)=f(b,d) → (a,c)=(b,d)

next thing i do: a+c =b+d

now i dont know what to do...PLEASE HELP ME

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2013 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the function were injective, it would mean that for every element b in N there's no more than one element a in NXN such that f(a)=b. This is not the case here. For example, f(1,0)=f(0,1).

Surjectivity means here that for every element b of N there's at least one element a in NXN such that f(a)=b. This function is surjective, because if x is an element of N, then f(x,0)=x+0=x.

4. Jul 19, 2013 #3
    Isn't a way to prove this without a counterexample. The injectivity it's allright if i doi it that way, but to prove that the function it it surjective i have that: [itex]\forall[/itex]yB,[itex]\exists[/itex]xA/y=f(x)

5. Jul 19, 2013 #4
    Write down precisely what you need to show for your function. Are you sure you can't think of a simple way to write any [itex]x \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] as [itex]n+m[/itex]?

Please don't do all of the work for the OP, especially when the question is clearly homework.

6. Jul 21, 2013 #5
    To clarify, are you defining N to include 0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted