Injevtive/surjective Problem - Algebra

• Thread starter SclayP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: If so, then this function is indeed surjective. If not, then it is not surjective since there is no element a in NXN such that f(a)=0. In summary, the function f(x,y)=x+y is not injective, as there exist different inputs that produce the same output. However, it is surjective when the set N includes 0, as every element in N can be obtained as an output from the function.
SclayP
So, i have to analyze the next function and see if it is injective and surjective
f: NXN → N
f(x,y)=x+y

i know that a function to be injective f(a)=f(b) → a=b

but here i have that f(a,c)=f(b,d) → (a,c)=(b,d)

next thing i do: a+c =b+d

now i don't know what to do...PLEASE HELP ME

Physics news on Phys.org
If the function were injective, it would mean that for every element b in N there's no more than one element a in NXN such that f(a)=b. This is not the case here. For example, f(1,0)=f(0,1).

Surjectivity means here that for every element b of N there's at least one element a in NXN such that f(a)=b. This function is surjective, because if x is an element of N, then f(x,0)=x+0=x.

hilbert2 said:
If the function were injective, it would mean that for every element b in N there's no more than one element a in NXN such that f(a)=b. This is not the case here. For example, f(1,0)=f(0,1).

Surjectivity means here that for every element b of N there's at least one element a in NXN such that f(a)=b. This function is surjective, because if x is an element of N, then f(x,0)=x+0=x.

Isn't a way to prove this without a counterexample. The injectivity it's all right if i doi it that way, but to prove that the function it it surjective i have that: [itex]\forall[/itex]yB,[itex]\exists[/itex]xA/y=f(x)

SclayP said:
Isn't a way to prove this without a counterexample. The injectivity it's all right if i doi it that way, but to prove that the function it it surjective i have that: [itex]\forall[/itex]yB,[itex]\exists[/itex]xA/y=f(x)

Write down precisely what you need to show for your function. Are you sure you can't think of a simple way to write any [itex]x \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] as [itex]n+m[/itex]?

Please don't do all of the work for the OP, especially when the question is clearly homework.

To clarify, are you defining N to include 0?

1. What is the difference between an injective and surjective function?

An injective function, also known as a one-to-one function, is a function where each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range. This means that no two elements in the domain can map to the same element in the range. On the other hand, a surjective function, also known as an onto function, is a function where every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain. In other words, every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain.

2. How can I determine if a function is injective or surjective?

To determine if a function is injective, you can use the horizontal line test. Draw a horizontal line through the graph of the function, and if the line intersects the graph at more than one point, then the function is not injective. To determine if a function is surjective, you can use the vertical line test. Draw a vertical line through the graph of the function, and if the line intersects the graph at more than one point, then the function is not surjective.

3. Can a function be both injective and surjective?

Yes, a function can be both injective and surjective. This type of function is called a bijective function. In a bijective function, each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range and every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain.

4. What is the importance of injective and surjective functions in algebra?

Injective and surjective functions are important in algebra because they help us understand the relationship between the elements in the domain and the elements in the range. They also have many real-world applications, such as in computer science and economics.

5. How can I prove that a function is injective or surjective?

To prove that a function is injective, you can use the definition of an injective function and show that each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range. To prove that a function is surjective, you can use the definition of a surjective function and show that every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. You can also use mathematical techniques such as the vertical and horizontal line tests to support your proof.