1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inner product with (1,1) tensors: Diff. Geometry/ Lin algebra

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given g[tex]\equiv g_{ij} = [/tex]
    [-1 0;
    0 1]

Show that A= [tex]A^{i}_{j}[/tex] =
    [1 2
    -2 1]

is symmetric wrt innter product g, has complex eigenvalues, but eigenvectros have zero length wrt the complex inner product.

3. The attempt at a solution

Im sure this is just a simple linear algebra problem but im having trouble figuring out how to compute the dot procut with this 1,1 tensor.

My guess would be to break the matrix [tex]A^{i}_{j}[/tex] intro rows and compute { (row1)g(row2)^t} then to show this is symmetric calculate { (row2)g(row1)^t}. But that seems wrong.

I can calculate the eigenvalues (they come out to [tex]\pm i \sqrt{3}[/tex] )

Also i am lost on showing the eigenvecotrs are 0 wrt the this inner product. I would have no idea how to approach this even if i knew how to calculate inner product.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2
    The metric g lets you lower the indices of A_i^j to get a tensor A_{ij}. Then the claim is that A_{ij} = A_{ji}. For the other part, I'm not quite sure what inner product they mean. I'm guessing g as a complex inner product?

4. Apr 22, 2010 #3
    Ok but as written, how do you compute that complex inner product?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook