1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inquiry about PhD position

1. Sep 29, 2015 #1

jjr

Hi!

A friend of mine is interested in a PhD position in a Scandinavian country. There are no specific calls for projects, but the group webpage mentions available positions and encourages anyone that is interested to send an email for information.

A formal application obviously comes later, so what should an inquiry like this contain? Should it just be kept very simple or is it a better idea to write something about oneself right away?

Any inputs and suggestions highly appreciated!

J

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2015 #2
    Being an e-mail to a person you never had contact with before you should at least give context. Something like "Dear Dr./Prof. xyz, my name is jjr and I am currently enrolled in an econophysics masters program at physicsforums.com, specializing in the statistics of academic guidance threads. I will finish my studies on April 1st, 2016 and plan to continue with a PhD program", followed by stating that you are interested in the position offered, possibly a very brief explanation why (no essay, maybe just a sentence, maybe it is even obvious in case your masters is in the same field) and some closing statements (ideally some that tell the person addressed what the next steps could be). I would also add a CV, possibly with relevant grades (total school grade, total BSc grade, if applicable). It feels good for the receiving side to have an idea whom they are communicating with. I'd leave out other things like scans of official documents like certificates, essays about your interest in the position or letters of recommendation.

(I realize that you said it is a friend of yours that wants to apply, not you. It was just easier to write this way and the same statement applies to your friend, of course.)

4. Sep 30, 2015 #3

jjr

That was very helpful! Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook