What Should an Inquiry for a PhD Position in Scandinavia Include?

In summary, when inquiring about a PhD position in a Scandinavian country, it is important to give context and introduce oneself in the email. This can include information such as current academic program and relevant grades. It is also important to briefly explain why you are interested in the position and outline potential next steps for the application process. It is not necessary to include scans of official documents or essays about your interest in the position.
jjr
Hi!

A friend of mine is interested in a PhD position in a Scandinavian country. There are no specific calls for projects, but the group webpage mentions available positions and encourages anyone that is interested to send an email for information.

A formal application obviously comes later, so what should an inquiry like this contain? Should it just be kept very simple or is it a better idea to write something about oneself right away?

Any inputs and suggestions highly appreciated!

J

Physics news on Phys.org
Being an e-mail to a person you never had contact with before you should at least give context. Something like "Dear Dr./Prof. xyz, my name is jjr and I am currently enrolled in an econophysics masters program at physicsforums.com, specializing in the statistics of academic guidance threads. I will finish my studies on April 1st, 2016 and plan to continue with a PhD program", followed by stating that you are interested in the position offered, possibly a very brief explanation why (no essay, maybe just a sentence, maybe it is even obvious in case your masters is in the same field) and some closing statements (ideally some that tell the person addressed what the next steps could be). I would also add a CV, possibly with relevant grades (total school grade, total BSc grade, if applicable). It feels good for the receiving side to have an idea whom they are communicating with. I'd leave out other things like scans of official documents like certificates, essays about your interest in the position or letters of recommendation.

(I realize that you said it is a friend of yours that wants to apply, not you. It was just easier to write this way and the same statement applies to your friend, of course.)

Likes jjr
That was very helpful! Thank you

What is a PhD position?

A PhD position is a paid research position that allows individuals to pursue a doctoral degree in a specific field of study. It is typically offered by universities or research institutions and involves conducting original research under the guidance of a supervisor or research team.

How do I apply for a PhD position?

The application process for a PhD position varies depending on the institution and program. Generally, it involves submitting an application form, CV, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a research proposal. Some institutions may also require a personal statement and/or an interview.

What are the requirements for a PhD position?

The specific requirements for a PhD position may vary, but most programs require applicants to have a master's degree in a related field, a strong academic record, and relevant research experience. Some programs may also have specific language or standardized test requirements.

How long does a PhD position typically last?

The duration of a PhD position varies depending on the program and field of study, but it typically takes 3-4 years to complete. However, some programs may take longer due to the complexity of the research project or part-time enrollment.

What are the benefits of a PhD position?

A PhD position offers a unique opportunity for individuals to conduct original research and contribute to the advancement of knowledge in their field of study. It also provides valuable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and project management that can be applied in various career paths. Additionally, many PhD positions offer a stipend or salary, tuition waivers, and health insurance benefits.