Validate 10|z: 8 Cases to Consider

• Thread starter 1+1=1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving that a number is a cube and a square if it is the 6th power of another number. It is suggested that considering nine cases, from 0 to 8, and showing that they all result in either 0 or 1 (mod 9) is the easiest way to prove this. There is also a discussion about validating this proof and giving counterexamples.
1+1=1
if a number is a cube and a square the only forms will be 9k or 9k+1. any suggestions as to how to vaidate this?? would the 8 cases work? from 9k to 9k+8? what does everyone else think?

yet another...

10 divides z if and only if (10,z) does not = 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
10 divides z if and only if (10,z) does not = 1.

Obviously if 10 divides z, then (10, z) is not 1 (it must be at least 10). But the converse is not true, consider z = 2...

that really doesn't help much, i kind of thought of that. this is one of those proofs that need to show one way then the other. that is all i am coming up with.

this is one of those proofs that need to show one way then the other.

But, uh, didn't I just give a counterexample to the other implication? And thus, it's false?

so if i have the left hand side saying that if you choose n = 1, then that says that (10,n) cannot = 1. with = to 2, it says the same thing, so it would work for all n except for 10, and that would givbe you 1. the right hand side would say that (10,n) not = 1. could i assume that it DOES = 1 and show a contradiction? would that be valid for this type of proof?

does anyone have any suggestions on the first question? would showing the 8 cases be the easiest way to p[rove this? i am thinking so, just square them and cube at the same time, or should i square them first THEN cube?

For a number, k, to be a square and a cube, it needs to be the 6th power of another number. This is evident from the prime factorization of k. So, we need to show that

[tex] k = n^{6m} \equiv 0 or 1 (mod 9) [/tex]

So we need consider only the nine cases n=0,1,2,...,8

[tex]0^{6} = 0 \equiv 0 (mod 9)[/tex]

[tex]1^{6} = 1 \equiv 1 (mod 9)[/tex]

[tex]2^{6} = 64 \equiv 1 (mod 9)[/tex]

[tex]3^{6} \equiv 6^{6m} \equiv 0 (mod 9)[/tex]

[tex]4^{6} = 2^{12} \equiv 1 (mod 9)[/tex]

[tex]5^{6} \equiv (-4)^6 = 4^6 \equiv 1 (mod 9)[/tex]

[tex]7^{6} \equiv (-2)^6 = 2^6 \equiv 1 (mod 9)[/tex] and

[tex]8^{6} \equiv (-1)^6 = 1 (mod 9)[/tex]

And of course, 0^m = 0 and 1^m = 1, so that completes the proof.

1. What is "Validate 10|z: 8 Cases to Consider" all about?

"Validate 10|z: 8 Cases to Consider" is a scientific paper that discusses various cases and considerations for validating data sets and experimental results. It aims to provide guidance for researchers in ensuring the accuracy and reliability of their findings.

2. What makes "Validate 10|z: 8 Cases to Consider" different from other papers on data validation?

This paper specifically focuses on 8 different cases that researchers commonly encounter when validating data. It provides detailed explanations and examples for each case, making it a comprehensive and practical resource for scientists.

3. Who can benefit from reading "Validate 10|z: 8 Cases to Consider"?

Any scientist or researcher who deals with data and experimental results can benefit from reading this paper. It can also be useful for students and educators in the field of science.

4. What are some key takeaways from "Validate 10|z: 8 Cases to Consider"?

Some key takeaways from this paper include the importance of regularly validating data, the need to consider various factors and cases in the validation process, and the potential consequences of not properly validating data.

5. Are there any practical applications for the information presented in "Validate 10|z: 8 Cases to Consider"?

Yes, the information presented in this paper can be applied to various fields of science such as biology, chemistry, and physics. It can also be used by researchers in any field who need to validate data and experimental results.