Insights "Print" autoselects double sided

• Complaint
  • Thread starter jim hardy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses printer settings and options for printing two-sided documents, as well as issues with printing from the Physics Forums Insights section. Participants also mention problems with missing lines and duplicated images in the Insights articles. The conversation also touches on the lack of LaTeX and preview options in comments, and the forum administrator notes that they are aware of these issues. Finally, a new member is welcomed and the conversation concludes with a discussion on printer software and previews.
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
irrespective of what my printer is set for

and if there's an option it can't be reached - too far down the page

upload_2019-1-29_15-1-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-29_15-1-17.png
    upload_2019-1-29_15-1-17.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 615
Physics news on Phys.org
On mine, I have to click on "more settings" there's a check box for two sided.

slask.png

Attachments

• slask.png
    slask.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 382
Likes jim hardy
These are all options set in your browser and PC.

anorlunda said:
On mine, I have to click on "more settings" there's a check box for two sided.
THANKS !
Found it - on mine i have to UNCLICK "more settings" and click " Print using system dialog"
upload_2019-1-29_18-20-3.png
Greg Bernhardt said:
These are all options set in your browser and PC.
They're both set for single sided

INSIGHTS prints them two sided.
No longer an issue, found the workaround.

Now i have to try it again because when i printed through INSIGHTS it cut off a couple lines of text at bottom of every page.
Compare red circle on snip above which is how it prints
against the screen
upload_2019-1-29_18-26-7.png

text starting with " magnet"... to end of sentence disappeared.

Oh well. Software is just that way.

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-29_18-20-3.png
    upload_2019-1-29_18-20-3.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 348
  • upload_2019-1-29_18-26-7.png
    upload_2019-1-29_18-26-7.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu and Greg Bernhardt
I've had the same problem with some other sites, not yet on PF though. Maybe because I don't print much from here.

I just printed the same Insight and got a layout with the sidebar, and consequentially grossly different page breaks. There were words and/or lines dropped at the bottom of at least some of the pages. A possible problem is that the "Physics Forums Insights" header is placed at the top of pages 2 thru n and gets the pagination software confused. This also shows as the first line of text missing at the top of the page.

I downloaded the Insight and printed it locally with the same results.
I also tried replacing the "Insights" banner file with an empty file and obtained similar but not identical results. The Banner was replaced with the letters "P" and half of the letter "h", blank space and a blank line, and a demarcation line. Something in a .CSS file somewhere?

Also, the end of the Insight has duplicated entries for "Newer Comments >>"

I also tried to print selected text and it would not print, it never even got to the print spooler,

So, @jim hardy, it's not just you with a problem; this Insight seems really messed up.

EDIT: Also the associated files for this Insight included an image of a car! No car appears in the article itself.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom

i at first blamed a Windows update - they keep on changing my mouse driver back to Microshaft
but couldn't find any of my printer settings changed
and a local Word file printed fine.
Found a Chrome button but it's set to single-sided as well.

so my diagnosis is we've got another case of WYG_ain't_WYS software..

i blame Bill Gates - he's taught a whole industry to worship mediocrity..

So I just printed it and am writing in the missing lines with an old fashioned lead (more precisely, graphite) pencil .

BTW it's not just that one, try the one on accelerating a car...

old jim

jim hardy said:
BTW it's not just that one, try the one on accelerating a car...
Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder Jim. See the edit to my previous post. There was a car included.

I noticed it on the car article, then tried the magnetic Insight too to see if it was isolated or generic to Insights... Sorry for the sloppy work..

More frustrations with insights

1. no Latex or symbols in COMMENTS ?
2. no Preview in COMMENTS ?
3. Previous comments didn't show until after i posted mine, it would have been nice to know if my questions had been addressed by others first.

jim hardy said:
More frustrations with insights
Please comment in the forum threads.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Please comment in the forum threads.
I wasn't sure whether to put the complaint in this forum or the affected Insights comment, so did both.
Do you prefer them here ?

old jim

jim hardy said:
I wasn't sure whether to put the complaint in this forum or the affected Insights comment, so did both.
Do you prefer them here ?

old jim
Here is fine, but I am aware of the issues, thanks! :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Here is fine, but I am aware of the issues, thanks! :)
:smile::smile::smile:

jim hardy said:
[emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]
Thanks a lot i knew nothing about using printers to print and all that but your views have made me learn !more about that
Meaning different printers got different print preview right

Welcome to PF Seaver!

Right, usually. The 'usually' is because sometimes similar printers models from the same manufacturer will use the same software across several models.

Also, different application programs such as web browsers, image editors, and text editors will have their own preview capability built into them. You may then see different previews from the programs even though they go to the same printer.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
Welcome to PF Seaver!

Right, usually. The 'usually' is because sometimes similar printers models from the same manufacturer will use the same software across several models.

Also, different application programs such as web browsers, image editors, and text editors will have their own preview capability built into them. You may then see different previews from the programs even though they go to the same printer.

Cheers,
Tom
Ooo ohk
So similar printers models from the same manufacturer. May use the same software
I get it now

1. What is the purpose of "Insights" in the "Print" feature?

The "Insights" feature in the "Print" function is designed to automatically select the double-sided printing option for documents. This helps to save paper and reduce printing costs.

2. How does "Insights" determine when to print double-sided?

"Insights" uses advanced algorithms to analyze the content of the document and determine if it is suitable for double-sided printing. It takes into account factors such as the number of pages, font size, and layout to make an informed decision.

3. Can I override the "Insights" double-sided printing selection?

Yes, you can override the "Insights" selection and manually choose the single-sided printing option if you prefer. However, keep in mind that this may result in using more paper and increasing printing costs.

4. Does "Insights" work with all types of documents?

Yes, "Insights" is designed to work with a wide range of document types, including text documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and PDFs. It can also be customized to fit the specific needs of different users.

5. Can "Insights" be disabled?

Yes, if you do not want to use the "Insights" feature, it can be disabled in the settings of the "Print" function. However, we recommend keeping it enabled to take advantage of the paper-saving benefits and reduce your environmental impact.