Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Installing a frequency inverter

1. Nov 14, 2013 #1
    Hi all,
    New user here
    What are the advantages of installing a frequency inverter for an already installed SSR air blower?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2013 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Hi oses.ogun! Welcome to Physics Forums!

You have not given us enough information. What is an SSR air blower? How does it run now? What voltage, what frequency? Why would you want to change the frequency that powers it?

Also, it appears you have conflated two different functions: "frequency inverter". There exist frequency converters which change the input frequency to a different output frequency, and there are inverters which convert DC to AC. It's not useful to conflate terms because it causes misunderstanding and confusion.

Please supply us with all the details of what exists now, and what you are proposing to change. Members here are ready and willing to help you discover what you need.

Bobbywhy

4. Nov 15, 2013 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Is an SSR a solid state relay being used to switch an air blower ?
    If you mean a “frequency converter” then I assume you want a VFD (variable frequency drive) so you can change the speed of your blower.

5. Nov 15, 2013 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Or could be Subsynchronous Resonance...

6. Nov 15, 2013 #5

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Wow, berkeman! Great list of possibilities!

7. Nov 15, 2013 #6

Baluncore

Science Advisor

We are assuming that there is no typo in "SSR".
    But only the four following are possible in this context.
    * SSR Secure Storage Room
    * SSR Solid State Relay
    * SSR Subsynchronous Resonance (power)
    * SSR Switching Series Regulator

8. Nov 16, 2013 #7

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

OK, Baluncore, how shall we choose from those 4 possibilities so as to respond to the OP?

9. Nov 16, 2013 #8

Baluncore

Science Advisor

We do not have to choose, we wait for oses.ogun to reply with a clarification. How I responded at the time is in post 3 of the topic.
    We cannot yet know if SSR is a typo or maybe something not in berkeman's list.

In my experience it is often necessary to guess and question in order to progress a topic.

Very few OPs completely specify the problem. If they did, the questioner would have understood the subject and so not have needed to ask the question. oses.ogun was obviously so involved in the problem when asking the question that alternative interpretations were not obvious.

I thought the aim was to help and encourage new members rather than to do a snow job on their first post and topic. Anyhow, we have no choice but to wait for a clarification.

10. Nov 16, 2013 #9

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Baluncore, I agree with you completely. Clearly to be of any use to the OP we need clarification from her. Excuse me if I appeared to be critical...that was not my intention. I also agree with you about our aims here on Physics Forums. Hopefully oses.ogun will see our exchanges here and explain the project in more detail.

Cheers, Bobbywhy

11. Nov 17, 2013 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I vote "solid state relay", but in any case, yes, we definitely need more info about how the fan is operating.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook