Insulation around a vaccum tube

In summary, for insulating a vacuum tube with a thermocouple at 650C, it is recommended to use insulation material such as Rockwool with a thickness of 25mm for heat loss reduction. The available space for insulation is between 17 and 34 mm.
Muhammad Awais
Hi Seniors and Fellows

I really need your help to finish my project .I have struck at a point which is given below :-

I have to do insulation around a vacuum tube in which thermocouple is placed . I have to choose a high temperautre 650 C insulation material. Inner and outer diameter of insulation tube is 22 and 17 mm. Thermal conductivity should be around 0.15 - 0.36. Which one i have to used and which is availabe in a mraket that we can order ad buy according to different Diameter dimension .

It is also good if u give me a refernce of company is manufacturing insulation and also give me a chart of thermal conductivity w.r.t to temperature.

Relpy me as soon as

Thankss :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Muhammad Awais said:
Hi Seniors and Fellows

I really need your help to finish my project .I have struck at a point which is given below :-

I have to do insulation around a vacuum tube in which thermocouple is placed . I have to choose a high temperautre 650 C insulation material. Inner and outer diameter of insulation tube is 22 and 17 mm. Thermal conductivity should be around 0.15 - 0.36. Which one i have to used and which is availabe in a mraket that we can order ad buy according to different Diameter dimension .

It is also good if u give me a refernce of company is manufacturing insulation and also give me a chart of thermal conductivity w.r.t to temperature.

Relpy me as soon as

Thankss :)

I suspect the dimensions you are concerning yourself with are the wrong ones ... I've have expected you to rate the maximum heat loss you are prepared to put up with and the available space for the insulation.

Insulation is sold as flat flexible sheets of various fluffiness. Find a brand you can afford and wrap it around your tube enough times to get the heat loss down to what you want. You can use the dimensions of the tube and the various rating for the sheets to work out how thick the insulation needs to be for each type, and, thus, how much you need to buy.

thanks for the reply sir. could you please mention some of the good insulation materials which are used for insulating small dia tubes. the available space for insulation is between 17 and 34 mm. heat flux and other values have been already calculated. i am just in search of a good insulation material which has a lower thermal conductivity value.

Rockwool for example should survive 600C

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your project. Insulating a vacuum tube can be a complex task, but I am happy to offer some suggestions and guidance.

Firstly, when choosing an insulation material for high temperatures, it is important to consider not only the thermal conductivity, but also the material's ability to withstand high temperatures without degrading or melting. Some common insulation materials for high temperatures include ceramic fiber, mineral wool, and calcium silicate. These materials have thermal conductivities within the range you mentioned (0.15 - 0.36) and can withstand temperatures up to 1000 C.

In terms of selecting a specific material and finding a supplier, I recommend doing some research online to compare different options and their availability in the market. You can also contact manufacturers directly to inquire about their products and availability. Some companies that specialize in high temperature insulation materials include Morgan Advanced Materials, Unifrax, and Thermal Ceramics.

As for a chart of thermal conductivity vs. temperature, this information should be provided by the manufacturer of the insulation material you choose. They should also be able to provide you with specific data for their product at different temperature ranges.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck with your project. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

1. What is the purpose of having insulation around a vacuum tube?

Insulation around a vacuum tube serves to prevent heat transfer by conduction or convection. This helps to maintain the vacuum inside the tube, which is necessary for its proper functioning.

2. What material is commonly used for insulation around a vacuum tube?

The most commonly used material for insulation around a vacuum tube is glass. This is because glass is a good insulator and can withstand high temperatures without melting or deforming. Other materials such as ceramic, plastic, and metal may also be used depending on the specific application.

3. How does the insulation affect the performance of a vacuum tube?

The insulation around a vacuum tube plays a crucial role in its performance. It helps to maintain the vacuum inside the tube, which is necessary for its proper functioning. Insulation also prevents heat transfer, which can affect the temperature and pressure inside the tube and ultimately impact its performance.

4. Is it necessary to have insulation around a vacuum tube?

Yes, it is necessary to have insulation around a vacuum tube. Without insulation, the vacuum inside the tube would be compromised, and heat transfer would occur, leading to a decrease in performance or even failure of the tube. Insulation also helps to protect the tube from external factors such as temperature changes and physical damage.

5. Can insulation around a vacuum tube degrade over time?

Yes, insulation around a vacuum tube can degrade over time due to various factors such as exposure to high temperatures, physical stress, and chemical reactions. This can lead to a decrease in its effectiveness and may require replacement to maintain the proper functioning of the vacuum tube.