Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convection over horizontal pipe in air

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    I am working on a problem involving heat transfer from a horizontal pipe in air. I am having trouble with it and not getting the solution I expect, and I think it is because of the convection component of the heat transfer. The general formula I am following for convection from a horizontal pipe is:

Q = h*A*(Tsurface-Tambient)

where:

h = convection heat transfer coefficient
    A = pipe surface area
    Tsurface = surface temperature of pipe
    Tambient = air temperature around pipe

I am using the following formulas for calculating the heat transfer coefficient:

Natural Convection:

h = 1.32*((Tsurface-Tambient)/D)^0.25

Forced Convection:

h = C*Re^n*Pr^(1/3)*k/D

where:

Re = Reynolds number
    Pr = Prandtl number
    k = thermal conductivity of air
    D = outside pipe diameter
    C,n = constants dependent on Re (can't remember their name off-hand, see chart)

Reynolds Number C n
    0.4-4 0.989 0.330
    4-40 0.911 0.385
    40-4,000 0.683 0.466
    4,000-40,000 0.193 0.618
    40,000-400,000 0.0266 0.805

Are these formulas appropriate (natural convection in particular as this was given to me by a colleague and I have no clue where he got it)? The forced convection is from a text book (which I don't have at the moment), however the book did not specify the orientation of the pipe. If anyone could chime in, or maybe provide a link to a 'how-to' on calculating convection around pipes that would be great, thanks!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted