1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intefrence of light and separation of slit

1. Aug 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    according to my notes, if the single slit is made larger , the slit can can been as point source, where each point can produce its own set of intefrence pattern. whi is it so ? i cant understand

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Des,
    Try to read what you write before posting. What's this about ?

Why is what so? It is so because you wrote it down, but that's not what you are after, right?

Perhaps instead of
    it should have been something like

... each point in the opening can be seen as a point source that contributes to form an interference pattern ...

4. Aug 25, 2014 #3
    sorry. i typed too fast .
    according to my notes, if the single slit is made larger , the slit can be seen as point source, where each point can produce its own set of inteference pattern. why is it so ? i cant understand

5. Aug 25, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not so. A slit is not a point source and cannot be seen as such: it is an extended source.

The word Interference has "inter-" in it, as in Latin inter (prep., adv.) "among, between, betwixt, in the midst of" (or as in "Internet", nowadays: also between senders and receivers). It takes two to tango and it takes more than one point source before one can speak of interference.

Each point of the slit acts as a point source (see Huygens principle) and the waves emanating from these points form an interference pattern.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted