Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integer values of this expression

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    Is there a simple way to find the integer values of f(x)=(a+5x)/(6x+1) with a, x integers.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you pick any integer for x, you can set
    [tex]a = (6x + 1) n - 5x[/tex]
    to get any integer n you like.

Is that what you meant by "finding the integer values"?

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3
    In fact, it's exactly the opposite I want. a is a given integer and I am looking for the value(s) of x that make f(x) take integer values. It's simple enough for small values of a but for large values, I cannot afford to check the values of x one by one.

5. Oct 26, 2011 #4
    One thing that may help, other than the obvious observation that x=0 and x=a-1 are always solutions, is that solutions (like these trivial two) come in pairs: that is, if [itex]x_0[/itex] is a solution, producing an integer [itex]n_0 = \frac {5x_0 + a} {6x_0 + 1} [/itex], then it's not hard to prove that [itex]x_1=n_0 - 1[/itex] is a solution too (which will produce the integer [itex]n_1=x_0+1[/itex]).

At least this cuts the search up to something on the order of the sqrt(a): now you need to iterate, from k=1 to a maximum of k=[itex]\lfloor \frac {2 + \sqrt{4+6a}} 6 \rfloor[/itex], checking if [itex]a \equiv k+1 \pmod {6k+1}[/itex], in which case both x=k and x=[itex]\left( \frac {5k+a} {6k+1} - 1 \right)[/itex] are two new solutions (or one, if these two "dual" solutions happen to be the same).

6. Oct 27, 2011 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, then just reverse my argument:
    If n = (a + 5x) / (6x + 1), then you can solve x from this equation. That should give you something like x = (n - a) / (5 - 6n).
    This will give integer values for x when (n - a) is a multiple of (5 - 6n), from which you will get the allowed values of a that will give you f(x) = n for your favorite integer n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?