Integral equation to solve with La Place transformation

Can you take it from there?In summary, the conversation discussed solving an integral equation using the La Place transform. The attempt at a solution involved differentiating the equation and using the transform, but there were doubts about the approach. It was suggested to approach the equation directly and use the property of convolution in the time domain.
Funzies

Homework Statement

[tex] y(t)+2\int_0^tcos(t-\tau)y(\tau)d\tau = 9e^{2t} [/tex]
Solve this integral equation by using the La Place transform.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried differentiation the whole equation:
[tex] y'(t) + 2cos(t-\tau)y(\tau) = 18e^{2t}[/tex] with boundaries 0 and t
[tex] y'(t) + 2y(t) +cos(t)y(0) = 18e^{2t} [/tex]
The exercise didn't give a value for y(0), so I assumed it to be zero.
[tex] y'(t) + 2y(t) = 18e^{2t} - cos(t) [/tex]
By using the La Place transform:
[tex] Sy(s) + 2y(s) = 18/(s-2) - s/(s^2+1) [/tex]
[tex] y(s) = \18/(s-2)(s+2) - s/(s^2+1)(s+2)[/tex]
This is were I started doubting my approach. I tried to rewrite it in 3 fractions and wanted to use the inverse la Place transform on these fractions. I got some very nasty numbers though and as the answer is very straight-forward I started doubting my approach. Can anyone comment on the correctness of my approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your approach is the best way, and even if it is viable, I think I see a few mistakes in there, looking quickly.

I recommend dealing with the equation directly. Note that the integral is a convolution integral, which is different than a standard integral. Now think about the property that convolution in the time domain is equivalent to multiplication in the Laplace domain.

1) What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function that appears under an integral sign. These equations are typically used to solve problems related to physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2) How is a La Place transformation used to solve integral equations?

A La Place transformation is a mathematical tool that converts an integral equation into an algebraic equation, making it easier to solve. It involves transforming the original equation into a new equation that can be solved using standard algebraic methods.

3) What are the applications of solving integral equations using La Place transformation?

Solving integral equations using La Place transformation has many applications in various fields such as electromagnetic theory, signal processing, and control systems. It is also used in solving differential equations and in solving boundary value problems.

4) Are there any limitations to using La Place transformation to solve integral equations?

While La Place transformation is a powerful tool for solving integral equations, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for linear integral equations, and it may not work for equations with complicated boundary conditions or singularities.

5) Are there any alternative methods for solving integral equations other than La Place transformation?

Yes, there are other methods for solving integral equations such as the Green's function method, the power series method, and the method of successive approximations. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem being solved.