Integral: For What Values of p is Convergent?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sapiental
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
sapiental
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
I got lost in an example in my book. Hoping someone could explain it to me.For what values of p is the intergral

from 1 to infinity [tex]\int \frac {1}{x^p}dx[/tex]

convergent?

from 1 to infinity [tex]\int \frac {1}{x^p}dx[/tex]

= lim (t -> infinity) [tex]\frac {x^-^p^+^1}{-p+1}[/tex] (from x = 1 to x = t)

= lim (t -> infinity) [tex]\frac {1}{p-1} [\frac {1}{t^p^-^1} - 1][/tex]

the only thing that confuses me about this is how the t^p-1 ended up in the denominator because after the 2nd sept I get the following:

= lim (t -> infinity) [tex]\frac {t^p^-^1}{p-1} - \frac {1}{p-1}[/tex]

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't [tex]\int \frac{1}{x^{-p}}dx=\frac{x^{1+p}}{1+p}[/tex]?
 
Oh, I'm sorry the intital inegral is

[tex]\int \frac {1}{x^p}dx[/tex]

thanks for catching that mistake :)