Integral involving power , exp and exp(power)

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a specific integral using a series expansion method. The feasibility of this method depends on the convergence properties of the resulting series, which is determined by the integrability of the product of the given function and the series function. The Dominated Convergence Theorem is suggested as a potential resource for further understanding of this condition.
yfatehi
I need some help evaluating the following integral from 0 to inifinity and a,p,c are positive reals, p>=1

\int\limit_0^\infty\ x^{p-1}e^{-x}e^{-c x^a} dx

Physics news on Phys.org
In general it can be done only numerically - probably using a series expansion of e-cxa.

How can use the series expansion

After the expansion each term will be e-x times a power of x. If the powers are integers, then explicit term by term integration is possible. If they are not integers, I can't see anything but brute force numerical integration

If I have a power series is the variable x which is uniformaly absolutely convergent over the entire positive Reals domain and then I multipled this series by F(x) which does not depend on the series index n. ie all the series terms are multipiled by the same fuction. Will the resulting series preserve the convergence properties?

It will as long as |F(x)G(x)| is integrable, where G(x) is the function represented by the power series.

Plaese I need more information about this condition can you recommend me any reading material

What is an integral involving power, exp, and exp(power)?

An integral involving power, exp, and exp(power) is a mathematical expression that involves the integration of a function with variables raised to a power, exponentials, and the exponential of a power. It is used to calculate the area under a curve that is described by these types of functions.

How do you solve an integral involving power, exp, and exp(power)?

To solve an integral involving power, exp, and exp(power), you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is important to first simplify the expression and then apply the appropriate integration technique.

What are the applications of integrals involving power, exp, and exp(power)?

Integrals involving power, exp, and exp(power) have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate quantities such as work, energy, and probability in these fields.

Are there any special cases of integrals involving power, exp, and exp(power)?

Yes, there are special cases of integrals involving power, exp, and exp(power) such as the Gaussian integral and the Fresnel integral. These integrals have specific formulas and techniques for solving them.

How do integrals involving power, exp, and exp(power) relate to the concept of area under a curve?

Integrals involving power, exp, and exp(power) are used to calculate the area under a curve that is described by these types of functions. This is because integration is essentially a process of finding the area under a curve. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and has many practical applications.