Integral Involving the Dirac Delta Function

In summary: The problem is that students usually think that exp(i px) is a eigenstate of the momentum operator, when it is actually not.
gabriellelee
Homework Statement
What is the integral of the following equation?
Relevant Equations
See below for the equation.
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 2.15.47 AM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your limits of integral?

Abhishek11235 said:
What are your limits of integral?
-∞ to +∞

gabriellelee said:
-∞ to +∞
So what do you think?

Abhishek11235 said:
So what do you think?
1?

gabriellelee said:
1?
Yes

Abhishek11235 said:
Yes
I know intuitively that the integral is 1, can you explain it to me mathematically?

gabriellelee said:
I know intuitively that the integral is 1, can you explain it to me mathematically?
By definition:
$$\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\delta(x) f(x) dx = f(0)$$

Likes PhDeezNutz and gabriellelee
Actually it is not an integral it just a symbol. As well as ##\delta-##function is not a function in usual sense. These things are clarified in functional analysis

Hm, is this an exercise in a physics course or a trick question in a mathematics course? In the latter case, I think, the answer is that the integral is undefined, because the exponential function is not a proper test function in the domain (of, e.g., Schwartz functions), the Dirac distribution is defined on.

There is no sense to speak about integrals here. It is nothing more than symbol in this context.
A space of test functions is a conditional question. In different problems this space is introduced differently this depends of problem we consider . Loosely speaking, the smaller space of test functions the bigger space of generalized functions.

For example, consider a subspace of ##\mathcal D'(\mathbb{R})## that consists of generalized functions with compact support. Such generalized functions are naturally defined on ##C^\infty(\mathbb{R})##.

Last edited:
Likes jasonRF
I'm only a bit familiar with the formalism, but I don't think that ##\exp(\mathrm{i} x)## is a proper test function in any case. I'm a bit unsure, whether the Dirac ##\delta## function (which has compact support, namely only 1 point) is defined on the entire ##C^{\infty}(\mathbb{R})##. Isn't it usually either ##C_0^{\infty}(\mathbb{R})## or the "Schwartz space of quickly falling functions"?

What is the problem to define the Dirac δ function on ##C^\infty(\mathbb{R})##?
Just put
$$(\delta, \varphi):=\varphi(0),\quad \varphi\in C^\infty(\mathbb{R})$$
This is a continuous linear functional with respect the standard topology in ##C^\infty(\mathbb{R})##

I don't know. Maybe you can do that, but in quantum mechanics you often have confused students, because they think ##\exp(\mathrm{i} p x)## is a "eigenstate of the momentum operator", but it is not square integrable nor in the domain of the momentum operator as an essentially self-adjoint operator. Here you need the rigged-Hilbert space description!

1. What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite. It is often used in physics and engineering to represent a point mass or impulse.

2. How is the Dirac delta function related to integrals?

The Dirac delta function is often used in integrals to represent a point mass or impulse. It can be thought of as a limiting case of a sequence of functions that become narrower and taller, with an area of 1 under the curve. This allows for the integration of discontinuous functions.

3. What is an integral involving the Dirac delta function?

An integral involving the Dirac delta function is an integral where the integrand contains the Dirac delta function. This can be in the form of a convolution integral, where the Dirac delta function is multiplied with another function and then integrated, or in the form of a singular integral, where the Dirac delta function is the integrand.

4. What are some applications of integrals involving the Dirac delta function?

Integrals involving the Dirac delta function are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving point masses or impulses. They are also used in signal processing to model signals and in probability theory to calculate probabilities of events.

5. How do you solve an integral involving the Dirac delta function?

To solve an integral involving the Dirac delta function, you can use the properties of the Dirac delta function, such as its sifting property and scaling property, to simplify the integral. You can also use the definition of the Dirac delta function to rewrite the integral in terms of a limit. In some cases, you may need to use other techniques, such as integration by parts, to solve the integral.