Can the Integral of an Area Equation Solve for Volume?

In summary, the student found that the volume of a sphere is the area underneath the curve being rotated around a specified axis. The theorem explaining this is Pappus' centroid theorem.
Bendelson
I may have misinterpreted this but today in calculus (AB) we were forming solids from 2 dimensional equations. One of the methods involved taking an integral of an area equation to solve for a solids volume. I got very excited as I often have difficulty remembering volume equations but am familiar with the basic area ones, so I thought I had found my solution to finding the volume of something with an area equation. However, when I tried to take the integral of the equation for the area of a circle ((pi)r^2) I came up with the equation (((pi)r^3)/3)+C which, as you may know, is not the equation for the volume of a sphere (4(pi)r^3)/3 although it is awfully close. I am very new to this so I'm definitely looking at this the wrong way so if anyone could explain this to me or send me any good links that would be awesome!

Physics news on Phys.org
I just looked up the surface area of a sphere and its 4(pi)r^2 so I'm betting that's where the 4 came from but now I may be more confused

Bendelson said:
I may have misinterpreted this but today in calculus (AB) we were forming solids from 2 dimensional equations. One of the methods involved taking an integral of an area equation to solve for a solids volume. I got very excited as I often have difficulty remembering volume equations but am familiar with the basic area ones, so I thought I had found my solution to finding the volume of something with an area equation. However, when I tried to take the integral of the equation for the area of a circle ((pi)r^2) I came up with the equation (((pi)r^3)/3)+C which, as you may know, is not the equation for the volume of a sphere (4(pi)r^3)/3 although it is awfully close. I am very new to this so I'm definitely looking at this the wrong way so if anyone could explain this to me or send me any good links that would be awesome!
You're trying to make a generalization which is not true, in all cases.

There are some theorems about how some areas can be turned into volumes by integration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappus's_centroid_theorem

To get the volume of a sphere by integration, put the center of the sphere at x,y,z=0,0,0.
For a sphere of radius R, we can integrate along the x-axis from -R to +R.
We integrate the area (pi)r^2 substituting r^2=R^2-x^2 from the formula for a circle.
The result is volume=4/3(pi)R^3.
It's much easier to remember the formula!

You need to realize that if you're integrating in two variables, that the volume of a solid of revolution is the area underneath the curve being rotated around a specified axis.

Bendelson said:

What you did was calculate the volume of a circular cone of height r with base of radius r. Can you see why?

To get the volume of a sphere, you could consider first a hemisphere, which you can think of as a series of thin disks (circles) of diminishing radius. If these were a finite set, then you'd add up the volume of each thin disk and get (approx) the volume of a sphere. Integration imagines each disk to be infinitesimally thin and you need to think of how big the circle is as you move up the hemisphere. Let's imagine the upper hemisphere (radius R), going from ##z=0## at the equator to ##z=R## at the pole:

The radius of the circle at each height ##z## is given by:

##r^2 = R^2 - z^2##

(Check this using some basic trigonometry.)

The area of the circle at each height is ##\pi(R^2 - z^2)##

This is now what you integrate from ##z = 0## to ##z = R## to get the volume:

##V = \int_0^R \pi (R^2-z^2) dz = \pi [R^2z - \frac{z^3}{3}]_0^R = \pi [R^3 - \frac{R^3}{3}] = \frac{2\pi R^3}{3}##

And the full sphere has twice this volume.

Last edited:
Another way would be to use the shell method.

1. What is the definition of "Integral of Area is Volume"?

The Integral of Area is Volume is a mathematical concept that relates the two-dimensional area of a shape to its three-dimensional volume. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is calculated by finding the definite integral of a function that represents the cross-sectional area of the shape.

2. Why is the Integral of Area is Volume important in science?

The Integral of Area is Volume is important in science because it provides a way to measure the volume of complex three-dimensional shapes. This is crucial in many fields such as physics, engineering, and biology where accurate measurements of volume are necessary for understanding and predicting natural phenomena.

3. How is the Integral of Area is Volume calculated?

The Integral of Area is Volume is calculated by taking the definite integral of a function that represents the cross-sectional area of a shape. This involves breaking the shape into infinitely small slices and calculating the area of each slice using the function, then adding up all the areas to find the total volume.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Integral of Area is Volume?

The Integral of Area is Volume has many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of irregularly shaped objects in physics and engineering, finding the volume of biological structures in biology, and determining fluid flow and displacement in fluid dynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Integral of Area is Volume?

One limitation of using the Integral of Area is Volume is that it can only be applied to continuous and well-defined shapes. It cannot be used for shapes with holes or disconnected parts. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the function used to represent the shape's cross-sectional area.