Integral of plane over a sine curve

In summary, In this problem, the author is trying to find the magnitude of the volume of space underneath a plane and over a curve. The author uses a region to integrate over and solves for the magnitude of the volume.
Applejacks01
Hi, I want to verify if my answer to this problem I made up is correct?

Suppose we have a plane z=x+y
Lets find the magnitude of the volume of the space underneath the plane and over the REGION in the xy plane defined by y=sin(x), from 0<=x<=2pi.

So for example, my definition of the "magnitude of the volume" is analogous to saying the magnitude of the integral of sin(x) from 0 to 2pi is 4, not 0 because we took the absolute value of the negative section from pi to 2pi.

So first I integrate x+y dy from 0 to sin(x), then I break the integral
over x up into 2, from 0 to pi, and pi to 2pi. Doing this, I get an answer of 4pi.

Is my solution to what I want correct?

Thanks so much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Applejacks01 said:
Hi, I want to verify if my answer to this problem I made up is correct?

Suppose we have a plane z=x+y
Lets find the magnitude of the volume of the space underneath the plane and over the curve in the xy plane y=sin(x), from 0<=x<=2pi.
This makes no sense. There is no volume "over a curve".

so for example, my definition of the "magnitude of the volume" is analogous to saying the magnitude of the integral of sin(x) from 0 to 2pi is 4, not 0 because we took the absolute value of the negative section from pi to 2pi.

So first I integrate x+y dy from 0 to sin(x), then I break the integral
over x up into 2, from 0 to pi, and pi to 2pi. Doing this, I get an answer of 4pi.

Is my solution to what I want correct?

Thanks so much

OK all I am saying is integrate using the domain y<=sin(x), 0<=x<=2pi, but solve for the magnitude of the volume.

EDIT; here is the exact region I want to integate over. 0<=y<=sin x from 0<=x<=pi, and sin(x) <=y<= 0 from pi<=x<=2pi

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of an integral of a plane over a sine curve?

The integral of a plane over a sine curve is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a sine curve when the x-axis is used as the baseline. It is denoted by ∫sin(x)dx and is a fundamental concept in calculus.

2. How is the integral of a plane over a sine curve calculated?

The integral of a plane over a sine curve can be calculated using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. The final result is an expression that represents the area under the curve.

3. What is the significance of the integral of a plane over a sine curve in real-life applications?

The integral of a plane over a sine curve has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate the work done by a force, find the displacement of an object, and determine the average value of a periodic function.

4. Is the integral of a plane over a sine curve affected by the amplitude or frequency of the sine curve?

Yes, the integral of a plane over a sine curve is affected by both the amplitude and frequency of the sine curve. The larger the amplitude, the larger the area under the curve, and the higher the frequency, the more oscillations there are in the curve, resulting in a larger total area.

5. Can the integral of a plane over a sine curve be negative?

Yes, the integral of a plane over a sine curve can be negative. This occurs when the area above the x-axis is larger than the area below the x-axis, resulting in a negative value for the integral. This can happen when the sine curve has a negative amplitude or when the curve intersects the x-axis multiple times.