Integral over a region in spacetime

In summary, a user is seeking help in evaluating the integral of a quadratic expression in spacetime. They propose using polar coordinates and discuss their approach, but are unsure of how to continue due to the nature of the problem being related to spacetime. Other users suggest using Stokes' theorem and considering complex variables, and also point out the need for a specific definition of the domain of integration.
Sandra Conor
Hello, can anyone show me if this integral can be evaluated?

##\frac{1}{a_0^2}\int_\Sigma\frac{dy'dz'}{\bigg(y'^2+z'^2+\tfrac{1}{(2a_0)^2}\bigg)^2}##

Physics news on Phys.org
I am thinking polar coordinates - but what does the summation sign stand for?

I have been thinking of polar form too. The summation sign represent a spacelike 2 surface in spacetime.

Initially, I want to evaluate this integral in spacetime.
$$\int_{\Sigma} \frac{dydz}{[a_{o}(y^{2}+z^{2})+2f_{o}y+2g_{o}z+c_{o}]^{2}}$$ where $$a_{o}c_{o}-f_{o}^{2}-g_{0}^{2}=\frac{1}{4}.$$

My way is to define
$$y':=y+\frac{f_0}{a_0},\,z':=z+\frac{g_0}{a_0}$$
Then the quadratic becomes $$a_0(y'^2+z'^2)+c_0-\frac{f_0^2+g_0^2}{a_0}=a_0\bigg(y'^2+z'^2+\tfrac{1}{(2a_0)^2}\bigg).$$

So now, I will need to evaluate$$\frac{1}{a_0^2}\int_\Sigma\frac{dy'dz'}{\bigg(y'^2+z'^2+\tfrac{1}{(2a_0)^2}\bigg)^2}\cdot$$ But this seems complicated. So I am thinking of using polar coordinate and if I do so, it becomes:
$$\frac{1}{a_0^2}\int_\Sigma\frac{dy'dz'}{\bigg(y'^2+z'^2+\tfrac{1}{(2a_0)^2}\bigg)^2} = \frac{1}{a_0^2}\int_\Sigma\frac{rd\phi dr}{\bigg(r^2+\tfrac{1}{(2a_0)^2}\bigg)^2}$$

Since this is in reference to spacetime, I am stuck as to how I should continue. If it is about a disk with radius R then I know what to do but for a spacelike 2 surface, I am still wandering.

Hm. This is far outside my area (complex function algebras), but I can throw in some random thoughts and hope it will inspire you.
  • I don't know why, but Stokes' theorem keeps swirling around in my head (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes'_theorem)
  • I have a tendency to think complex variables - have you considered that
  • If I haven't done a blunder, I think [itex]\frac{d}{dr}\frac{1}{r^{2}+C}=\frac{-2r}{(r^{2}+C)^{2}} [/itex]

It looks like your main problem is defining the domain of integration in purely geometric terms. You need to explicitly define ##\Sigma##.

Thanks Svein for the ideas. I will check these out.

Yes, mathman. The summation sign represent a spacelike 2 surface in spacetime. Its mentioned in the third post. Sorry about that.

What is the concept of "integral over a region in spacetime"?

The concept of "integral over a region in spacetime" refers to the mathematical technique of summing up infinitesimally small values over a specified region in both space and time. This allows for the calculation of total quantities such as energy, momentum, or charge within a given region in spacetime.

How is the integral over a region in spacetime related to the concept of spacetime?

The integral over a region in spacetime is closely related to the concept of spacetime as it allows for the inclusion of both spatial and temporal dimensions in the calculation of a total quantity. This is important in many areas of physics, including relativity and quantum mechanics, where events can occur at different points in both space and time.

What is the difference between a regular integral and an integral over a region in spacetime?

The main difference between a regular integral and an integral over a region in spacetime is the inclusion of time as a variable. In a regular integral, only spatial dimensions are considered, whereas in an integral over a region in spacetime, both space and time are included in the calculation.

What types of physical quantities can be calculated using an integral over a region in spacetime?

An integral over a region in spacetime can be used to calculate a variety of physical quantities, including energy, momentum, charge, and other conserved quantities. It can also be used to calculate the probability of events occurring in a given region of spacetime in quantum mechanics.

How is the concept of "integral over a region in spacetime" used in practical applications?

The concept of integral over a region in spacetime is used in many practical applications in physics and engineering. For example, it is used in relativity to calculate the total energy or momentum of a system, and in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of particle interactions. It is also used in fields such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism to model and analyze physical systems.