Integral over scaling function

In summary, interpolating scaling functions are used to extend a function defined at integers to a continuous function. The integral of this continuous function over all real numbers can be expressed as the sum of integrals of the individual scaling functions, which may lead to a proof of the equality of certain equations.
Derivator
Hi,

[itex]\phi(x)[/itex] is an interpolating scaling function (also called fundamental function or Dubuc-Deslauriers function) as given on pages 155 to 158 in these lecture notes: http://pages.unibas.ch/comphys/comphys/TEACH/WS07/course.pdf

Why does the follwoing yield:

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\phi(x) dx = 1?[/itex]

At least, I assume this yields, because otherwise I cannot show the equality of the first equation of the exercise on page 158 of the above lecture notes:

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/304/capturevm.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
φ(x) seems to be the Dirac delta function. Check it out on Wikipedia if you are not familiar with it. Most authors use δ(x).

no, its definitely not a dirac delta function.

In a 7-th order interpolation scheme it looks like:

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3887/capturekp.png

by the way: i noticed this thread is probably in the wrong forum. Could someone move it to 'Atomic, Solid State, Comp. Physics', please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Derivator said:
Hi,
Why does the follwoing yield:
[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\phi(x) dx = 1?[/itex]

I don't think that is true.

I only got a hazy grasp of those notes, but, thinking about the case in 1 dimension, the constant function f(x) = 1, when scaled as [itex] f(x)\phi(x) [/itex] is still the constant function 1. (I haven't mastered the notation. By [itex] \phi(x) [/itex], I mean a function such that when x is between the integers k and k + 1, [itex] \phi(x) [/itex] is the sum of the interpolating scaling function centered at k and the interpolating scaling function centered at k + 1.) So one can say that the integral of [itex] (1)( \phi(x)) [/itex] from k-1/2 to k+1/2 is 1.

To get my notation straight, I'll use [itex] \phi(x) [/itex] to mean a (single) scaling function centered at 0 which vanishes for x < -1/2 and x > 1/2. (I don't know where the scaling functions in those notes are supposed to vanish. This is just to test an idea.)

If g(x) is a function that is zero except at integers, then I gather the idea of interpolating scaling functions is extend g to a continuous function f(x). Let's say that for x between the integer values k and k + 1, we compute f(x) by adding two functions. The first function [itex] f_{k,1}(x) [/itex] is g(k) times the scaling function [itex] \phi(x-k) [/itex] and the second function [itex] f_{k,2}(x) [/itex] is g(k+1) times the scaling function [itex] \phi(x - (k+1) ) [/itex].

When you integrate f(x) over all real numbers, its integral can be regarded as the sum of integrals of these functions. Working the exercise might rely on arguing that the sum of these integrals is term-by-term equal to the sum of the non-zero values of g(x).

What is an integral over scaling function?

An integral over scaling function is a mathematical concept in which a function is multiplied by a scaling factor and then integrated over a specified interval. This process is used to analyze the behavior of functions and their relationship to scaling.

How is an integral over scaling function calculated?

An integral over scaling function is calculated by first multiplying the function by the scaling factor and then integrating the resulting function over the specified interval. The resulting value is the integral over scaling function.

What is the purpose of using an integral over scaling function?

The purpose of using an integral over scaling function is to understand the effect of scaling on a function. This can help in analyzing the behavior of the function and making predictions about its behavior at different scales.

What are some real-world applications of integral over scaling function?

Integral over scaling function has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to analyze the relationship between force and displacement in a mechanical system or to model the behavior of stock prices over time.

What are some common challenges in solving problems involving integral over scaling function?

One common challenge in solving problems involving integral over scaling function is choosing the appropriate scaling factor and interval. This requires a good understanding of the function and its behavior. Additionally, integration techniques may also pose a challenge in some cases.