1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral that I have been trying to solve

1. Sep 18, 2013 #1
    Hello,

Please check the attached file.
    It's an integral that I have been trying to solve for a while.

I hope that I have been enough specific.

Regards

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Do you know substitution?
    sin(x)=u is a possible approach, and that method might work as well.

The first part is easy to integrate, just ignore it for now and focus on the fraction.

As this is a homework-like question, I moved your thread to our homework section.

4. Sep 18, 2013 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Substitution won't help much here. This is not integrable in the elementary functions. Ignoring the first part, which is easy, the result is a constant times the difference between an elliptical integral of the first kind and an elliptical integral of the second kind.

5. Sep 18, 2013 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Hint: Rewrite the numerator ##-\sin^2(x)## as ##c-(\sin^2(x)+c)##.

6. Sep 18, 2013 #5
    Hi,
    The numerator is a square root. I can't see how rewriting the numerator in such a way
    will lead me to the expected result.
    Please can you give further indications?

7. Sep 18, 2013 #6
    Hello,
    I totally agree with you. Substitution in such a way won't work and the equation has nothing to do
    with homework. I am trying to figure out a Mathematical model and I need to solve this part of the entire expression.

Regard

8. Sep 18, 2013 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The *denominator* is a square root. The *numerator* is -sin(x)2.

9. Sep 19, 2013 #8
    Sorry
    Yeah I see. I have tried but that won't help either.
    DId you get any result with that substitution?
    The problem is the last term of the integration by part
    that always contains at the denominator √([sin]^{2}(x)+c)

10. Sep 19, 2013 #9

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you read my first post? You can try all the substitutions you want and you will *never* be able to find an analytic solution to this problem in the elementary functions. This problem is not integrable in the elementary functions. Fortunately, there are two special functions that are very applicable to this problem, the elliptical integrals of the first and second kind. The standard definitions of these functions are

[tex]\begin{aligned}
    F(\phi,k) &= \int_0^{\phi} \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{1-k^2\sin^2(\theta)}} \\
    E(\phi,k) &= \int_0^{\phi} \sqrt{1-k^2\sin^2(\theta)} \, d\theta
    \end{aligned}[/tex]
    Here, k is the "elliptic modulus" and must lie between 0 and 1. The restriction is reduced if we substitute k2 with m:

[tex]\begin{aligned}
    F(\phi;m) &= \int_0^{\phi} \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{1-m\sin^2(\theta)}} \\
    E(\phi;m) &= \int_0^{\phi} \sqrt{1-m\sin^2(\theta)} \, d\theta
    \end{aligned}[/tex]
    Your integral, with appropriate modifications, can be made to look very much like these latter forms.

So what's the point? Simple: You can find mathematical tables the list these elliptical integrals and software that implements them.

11. Sep 19, 2013 #10
    And what exactly you're going to do with it once you get it yanac? Now I don't want to get in D.H. way since I think he's doing a great job explaining to me and you how to solve this thing but seems to me there is more to it for example what happens when the expression in the root becomes negative or how exactly can I use those special functions to actually solve an integral and they do agree with numerical calculation right? Might want to check. Even if [itex]1-m\sin^2(t)<0[/itex]? I'm not rightly sure. Just saying that's all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted