Integral using hyperbolic substitution

In summary, the student is having trouble with integrating the cosh(u) function. They are trying to use the hyperbolic trig functions but are having trouble. They could evaluate the integral without the hyperbolic trig functions and just using the regular ones.
Malby

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\left(1+x^{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The hyperbolic functions.

The Attempt at a Solution

We've been going over hyperbolic substitutions in class so I assume I'm meant to use one of those, but I'm just not sure how to choose which one. Any help greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
sinh2(u) + 1 = cosh2(u)

So, I would try letting x = sinh(u) → dx = cosh(u) du

[tex]\begin{eqnarray*}
\int\left(1+x^{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}dx & = & \int\left(1+\sinh^{2}\left(u\right)\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}\cosh\left(u\right)\, du\\
& = & \int\sqrt{\left(\cosh^{2}\left(u\right)\right)^{3}}\cosh\left(u\right)\, du\\
& = & \int\sqrt{\cosh^{6}\left(u\right)}\cosh\left(u\right)\, du\\
& = & \int\cosh^{4}\left(u\right)\, du
\end{eqnarray*}[\tex]

Last edited:
Malby said:
[tex]\begin{eqnarray*}
\int\left(1+x^{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}dx & = & \int\left(1+\sinh^{2}\left(u\right)\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}\cosh\left(u\right)\, du\\
& = & \int\sqrt{\left(\cosh^{2}\left(u\right)\right)^{3}}\cosh\left(u\right)\, du\\
& = & \int\sqrt{\cosh^{6}\left(u\right)}\cosh\left(u\right)\, du\\
& = & \int\cosh^{4}\left(u\right)\, du
\end{eqnarray*}[\tex]

Oops, that was meant to be nice neat LaTeX...

Well, I tried doing that but ended up with int(cosh^4(u))du... not sure if there is a nice little trick for solving that or if I've ended up with a harder problem than I started with. Also, why didn't that tex code just work?

Use the identity

[tex]cosh^2 (t) = \frac{1 + cosh(2t)}{2}[/tex]Your tex didn't work because you used \ instead of /

Omg i helped someone!

Malby said:
[tex]\int\left(1+x^{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}dx = \int\left(1+\sinh^{2}\left(u\right)\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}\cosh\left(u\right)\, du[/tex]
[tex]=\int\sqrt{\left(\cosh^{2}\left(u\right)\right)^{3}}\cosh\left(u\right)\, du[/tex]
[tex]=\int\sqrt{\cosh^{6}\left(u\right)} \cosh\left(u\right)\, du[/tex]
[tex]=\int\cosh^{4}\left(u\right)\, du
[/tex]
Changed '\' to '/' in the /tex tag so we can read your LaTeX.

You could evaluate this integral without using the hyperbolic trig functions and just using the regular ones.

SammyS said:
sinh2(u) + 1 = cosh2(u)

So, I would try letting x = sinh(u) → dx = cosh(u) du
By The Way: [itex]u = \sinh^{-1}(x) = \ln \left( x+\sqrt{x^{2}+1} \right)[/itex]

SammyS said:
By The Way: [itex]u = \sinh^{-1}(x) = \ln \left( x+\sqrt{x^{2}+1} \right)[/itex]

Aha! I was wondering how it got to that step.

Thanks very much for your help!

1. What is hyperbolic substitution?

Hyperbolic substitution is a method used in calculus to simplify integrals involving square roots and trigonometric functions. It involves replacing trigonometric functions with hyperbolic functions, which have simpler derivatives and integrals.

2. When should I use hyperbolic substitution?

Hyperbolic substitution is most useful when dealing with integrals that contain the following types of expressions:
- Square roots of quadratic polynomials
- Products of linear and quadratic polynomials
- Trigonometric functions with rational exponents
- Trigonometric functions with a sum or difference of angles

3. How do I perform hyperbolic substitution?

To perform hyperbolic substitution, you need to identify which trigonometric functions can be replaced with hyperbolic functions. Then, use the identities of hyperbolic functions to express the integral in terms of hyperbolic functions. Finally, use the standard integration techniques to solve the integral.

4. What are the benefits of using hyperbolic substitution?

Using hyperbolic substitution can simplify complicated integrals and make them easier to solve. It also allows for the use of standard integration techniques, such as substitution and integration by parts, which may not have been possible with the original trigonometric expression.

5. Are there any limitations to using hyperbolic substitution?

Hyperbolic substitution may not work for all integrals, and it may not always result in a simpler or more manageable integral. It is important to carefully analyze the integral before deciding to use hyperbolic substitution. Additionally, some integrals may require multiple substitutions or other advanced techniques to solve.