Integral want same answer as book

In summary, to turn your experimental data into a power spectrum, you will need to take the DFT of the data and then square it to get the power spectrum. In summary, a person is having trouble reproducing the spectrum for a light scattering signal as given in a book. They are trying to work it out manually using Mathematica or Matlab but are getting errors and strange results. After some discussion, it is determined that the equation in the book is missing an absolute value for the delay time parameter. The person is also asking for help with Fourier transforming their experimental data to obtain a power spectrum. The suggestion is made to use the DFT function in Matlab and then square the result to get the power spectrum.
Steve Drake
Hi Guys,

I'm doing some work on signals and power spectrums.

The book I am using says the spectrum for this light scattering signal is given by:

[tex]I(q,\omega ) = \frac{1}{{2\pi }}\int_{ - \infty }^\infty {\exp ( - i\omega t)} S(q,t)dt[/tex]

In the book an S term is given as:

[tex]S(q,t) = N\left\langle {{\gamma ^2}} \right\rangle \exp [ - ({q^2}{D_T} + 6{D_R})t][/tex]

So what I want to do is work out the spectrum manually (using mathemtica or matlab) and get the same answer that they do. I need this because soon I will be using equations that aernt in the book and need to make sure the spectrum comes out correct.

But when I try to do it in mathematic I get an error saying the integral does not converge.

Matlab gives an answer but it looks strange and wrong.

The book then says that the spectrum is therefore (this is what I want to arrive at via MATLAB or mathematica):

[tex]I(q,\omega ) = \frac{{N\left\langle {{\gamma ^2}} \right\rangle }}{\pi }\frac{{{q^2}{D_T} + 6{D_R}}}{{{\omega ^2} + {{({q^2}{D_T} + 6{D_R})}^2}}}[/tex]

any ideas?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Steve Drake said:
[tex]S(q,t) = N\left\langle {{\gamma ^2}} \right\rangle \exp [ - ({q^2}{D_T} + 6{D_R})t][/tex]
I think it's pretty obvious that S(q,t) is diverging badly for negative t. Are you sure there's not an absolute value or a square ([itex]t^2[/itex]) or something in the [itex]({q^2}{D_T} + 6{D_R})t[/itex] term that you're omitting?

Last edited:
uart said:
I think it's pretty obvious that S(q,t) is diverging badly for negative t. Are you sure there's not an absolute value or a square ([itex]t^2[/itex]) or something in the [itex]({q^2}{D_T} + 6{D_R})t[/itex] term that you're omitting?

Hey, thanks for your answer. For these experiments, t is a delay time, so it can't really go negative. t spans from several decades from say e-7 to e5 seconds. So the exp term will be 1 at the shortest of times, and 0 at longest. But that is the equation exactly in the book. I don't get why I can't just put it in and watch it spin. How do the authors do these equations lol

Last edited:
Steve Drake said:
Hey, thanks for your answer. For these experiments, t is a delay time, so it can't really go negative. t spans from several decades from say e-7 to e5 seconds. So the exp term will be 1 at the shortest of times, and 0 at longest. But that is the equation exactly in the book. I don't get why I can't just put it in and watch it spin. How do the authors do these equations lol

To get the answer in the book you need to use the absolute value of "t". It must have been "implied" that S(q,t) as written was for positive "t" and that it was symmetric for negative "t".

[tex]S(q,t) = N\left\langle {{\gamma ^2}} \right\rangle \exp [ - ({q^2}{D_T} + 6{D_R}){\bf|t|}] [/tex]

BTW. This is just Fourier transform. You can look up that integral as the FT of [itex]e^{-a|x|}[/itex] here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform#Tables_of_important_Fourier_transforms

Wow, thanks so much! When I use Abs(t) it gets the exact answer. I guess it makes sense because time can't be negative. Huge help thanks!

Hey,

You've been such a great help may I extend my question now?

I have some real data that I want to turn into the power spectrum. The data is in the form of x y where x is t, and y is S(q,t).

So I can Fourier transform the theoretical equation, to obtain the answer for how we expect the power spectrum to turn out. Now... how do I Fourier transform my experimental data? Its just a set of numbers.

So for the first delay time, S(q,t) will be 1. Do I just try

[tex]I(q,\omega ) = \frac{1}{{2\pi }}\int_{ - \infty }^\infty {\exp ( - i\omega t)} \times1dt[/tex]

I don't get what goes in ω, or what limits I use?

Thanks for the help! Right now the machine I use Pumps out the autocorrelation function (S(q,t)), but I want the power spectrum.

Steve Drake said:
I have some real data that I want to turn into the power spectrum. The data is in the form of x y where x is t, and y is S(q,t).

So I can Fourier transform the theoretical equation, to obtain the answer for how we expect the power spectrum to turn out. Now... how do I Fourier transform my experimental data? Its just a set of numbers.

Hi Steve. For a set of numbers like that you use the DFT ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_Fourier_transform ). Matlab has a built in function "fft" to perform this operation.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. How is an integral related to a book's answer?

An integral and a book's answer are related because the integral is a mathematical calculation that produces a specific numerical value, which is the same answer that is found in a book.

3. What is the purpose of wanting the same answer as a book for an integral?

The purpose of wanting the same answer as a book for an integral is to ensure that the calculation is correct and to provide a reference point for comparison.

4. Can the answer to an integral be different from the book's answer?

Yes, the answer to an integral can be different from the book's answer if there are errors in the calculation or if different methods are used to solve the integral.

5. How can I check if my answer to an integral is the same as the book's answer?

You can check if your answer to an integral is the same as the book's answer by using a calculator or computer program to solve the integral, or by double-checking your work using different methods or techniques.