Integral with legendre generating function

In summary: I was able to figure it out after tinkering with it. I appreciate your help.In summary, the Legendre generating function can be used to show that for A > 1, the integral of (Acosθ+1)sinθdθ over the interval [0, π] is equal to 4/3A. By using the orthogonality property of Legendre functions, the integral can be rewritten as a series and then solved by substituting x = -cosθ and using the fact that 1/A < 1.
buffordboy23

Homework Statement

Use the Legendre generating function to show that for A > 1,

[tex] \int^{\pi}_{0} \frac{\left(Acos\theta + 1\right)sin\thetad\theta}{\left(A^{2}+2Acos\theta+1\right)^{1/2}} = \frac{4}{3A} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Legendre generating function

[tex] \phi\left(-cos\theta,A\right) = \left(A^{2}+2Acos\theta+1\right)^{-1/2}} = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0}P_{n}\left(-cos\theta\right)A^{n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty much clueless, and the book makes no mention of anything else. I know that with these parameters the series should be convergent for |A| < 1, and that the interval now runs from [-pi, pi]. The only thing on the internet that I could find that deals with with integrals of Legendre functions is for orthogonality, which doesn't seem to apply here.

Physics news on Phys.org
buffordboy23 said:

Homework Statement

Use the Legendre generating function to show that for A > 1,

[tex] \int^{\pi}_{0} \frac{\left(Acos\theta + 1\right)sin\thetad\theta}{\left(A^{2}+2Acos\theta+1\right)^{1/2}} = \frac{4}{3A} [/tex]

Using the trick the integral becomes

[tex]
/int_0^\pi{\left(A\cos\theta+1\right)\sin\theta\sum_{n=0}^\infty{P_n(-\cos\theta)A^n}}
[/tex]

I suggest you are courageous and interchange the integration and summation (or maybe you can argue that this is allowed in our case?) then you expand [itex]A\cos\theta +1[/itex] in terms of Legendre functions. You should then be able to use some orthoganality property.

I'm still stuck with this problem. Here is my work.

Let [tex] x = -cos\theta \rightarrow d\theta = dx/sin\theta [/tex]. Substitution gives

[tex] \int^{1}_{-1} \frac{\left(1-Ax\right)dx}{\left(A^{2}-2Ax+1\right)^{1/2}} = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}P_{k}\left(x\right)A^{k}\right)\left[1-Ax\right]dx = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}P_{k}\left(x\right)A^{k}\right)\left[P_{0}\left(x\right)-P_{1}\left(x\right)A\right]dx = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(P_{0}\left(x\right)^{2}-P_{1}\left(x\right)^{2}A^{2}\right)dx [/tex]

where the last equation exploited orthogonality. Yet,

[tex] \int^{1}_{-1} \left(P_{0}\left(x\right)^{2}-P_{1}\left(x\right)^{2}A^{2}\right)dx = 2 - \frac{2A^{2}}{3}[/tex]

and is not the answer. What am I missing?

I know that the legendre generating function requires |A|<1, but this problem says A>1. This implies that the series is divergent, but does that necessarily matter in this context?

buffordboy23 said:
Use the Legendre generating function to show that for A > 1

The Legendre generating function

[tex] \phi\left(-cos\theta,A\right) = \left(A^{2}+2Acos\theta+1\right)^{-1/2}} = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0}P_{n}\left(-cos\theta\right)A^{n}[/tex]

... I know that with these parameters the series should be convergent for |A| < 1

For A>1, this is not the generating function.

Hint: if A>1, then 1/A<1 :wink:

Here we go.

[tex]
\int^{1}_{-1} \frac{\left(1-Ax\right)dx}{\left(A^{2}-2Ax+1\right)^{1/2}} = \int^{1}_{-1} \frac{\left(1/A-x\right)dx}{\left(1-2x/A+1/A^{2}\right)^{1/2}} =\int^{1}_{-1} \left(\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}P_{k}\left(x\right)A^{-k}\right)\left[1/A-x\right]dx = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}P_{k}\left(x\right)A^{-k}\right)\left[P_{0}\left(x\right)/A-P_{1}\left(x\right)\right]dx [/tex]

[tex] = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(\frac{P_{0}\left(x\right)^{2}}{A}-\frac{P_{1}\left(x\right)^{2}}{A}\right)dx =
\frac{1}{A}\int^{1}_{-1} \left(1-x^{2}\right)dx =
\frac{4}{3A}
[/tex]

Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is the Legendre generating function?

The Legendre generating function is a mathematical tool used in the field of integral calculus. It is a function that generates Legendre polynomials, a set of orthogonal polynomials that have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How is the Legendre generating function used in integrals?

The Legendre generating function is used to simplify the process of solving integrals involving Legendre polynomials. By using the generating function, these integrals can be transformed into simpler forms that are easier to solve.

3. What is the relationship between the Legendre generating function and Legendre polynomials?

The Legendre generating function is defined as the sum of Legendre polynomials multiplied by a variable raised to a certain power. This relationship allows for the generation of Legendre polynomials and their derivatives through the use of the generating function.

4. How is the Legendre generating function derived?

The Legendre generating function can be derived through the use of the Cauchy integral formula, which involves contour integration and complex analysis. The resulting function is a series expansion of the Legendre polynomials.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Legendre generating function?

The Legendre generating function has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of electromagnetic fields, heat conduction, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in statistics for data analysis and in numerical methods for solving differential equations.