1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral with legendre generating function

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the Legendre generating function to show that for A > 1,

[tex] \int^{\pi}_{0} \frac{\left(Acos\theta + 1\right)sin\thetad\theta}{\left(A^{2}+2Acos\theta+1\right)^{1/2}} = \frac{4}{3A} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

The Legendre generating function

[tex] \phi\left(-cos\theta,A\right) = \left(A^{2}+2Acos\theta+1\right)^{-1/2}} = \sum^{\infty}_{n=0}P_{n}\left(-cos\theta\right)A^{n}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Pretty much clueless, and the book makes no mention of anything else. I know that with these parameters the series should be convergent for |A| < 1, and that the interval now runs from [-pi, pi]. The only thing on the internet that I could find that deals with with integrals of Legendre functions is for orthogonality, which doesn't seem to apply here.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2
    Using the trick the integral becomes

[tex]
    /int_0^\pi{\left(A\cos\theta+1\right)\sin\theta\sum_{n=0}^\infty{P_n(-\cos\theta)A^n}}
    [/tex]

I suggest you are courageous and interchange the integration and summation (or maybe you can argue that this is allowed in our case?) then you expand [itex]A\cos\theta +1[/itex] in terms of Legendre functions. You should then be able to use some orthoganality property.

4. Dec 4, 2008 #3
    I'm still stuck with this problem. Here is my work.

Let [tex] x = -cos\theta \rightarrow d\theta = dx/sin\theta [/tex]. Substitution gives

[tex] \int^{1}_{-1} \frac{\left(1-Ax\right)dx}{\left(A^{2}-2Ax+1\right)^{1/2}} = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}P_{k}\left(x\right)A^{k}\right)\left[1-Ax\right]dx = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}P_{k}\left(x\right)A^{k}\right)\left[P_{0}\left(x\right)-P_{1}\left(x\right)A\right]dx = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(P_{0}\left(x\right)^{2}-P_{1}\left(x\right)^{2}A^{2}\right)dx [/tex]

where the last equation exploited orthogonality. Yet,

[tex] \int^{1}_{-1} \left(P_{0}\left(x\right)^{2}-P_{1}\left(x\right)^{2}A^{2}\right)dx = 2 - \frac{2A^{2}}{3}[/tex]

and is not the answer. What am I missing?

I know that the legendre generating function requires |A|<1, but this problem says A>1. This implies that the series is divergent, but does that necessarily matter in this context?

5. Dec 4, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For A>1, this is not the generating function.

Hint: if A>1, then 1/A<1 :wink:

6. Dec 4, 2008 #5
    Here we go.

[tex]
    \int^{1}_{-1} \frac{\left(1-Ax\right)dx}{\left(A^{2}-2Ax+1\right)^{1/2}} = \int^{1}_{-1} \frac{\left(1/A-x\right)dx}{\left(1-2x/A+1/A^{2}\right)^{1/2}} =\int^{1}_{-1} \left(\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}P_{k}\left(x\right)A^{-k}\right)\left[1/A-x\right]dx = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}P_{k}\left(x\right)A^{-k}\right)\left[P_{0}\left(x\right)/A-P_{1}\left(x\right)\right]dx [/tex]

[tex] = \int^{1}_{-1} \left(\frac{P_{0}\left(x\right)^{2}}{A}-\frac{P_{1}\left(x\right)^{2}}{A}\right)dx =
    \frac{1}{A}\int^{1}_{-1} \left(1-x^{2}\right)dx =
    \frac{4}{3A}
    [/tex]

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?