Integral with sq. root in it again

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of x^(3/2)*sqrt(1+x) and using the fact that sqrt(1+x) can be expressed as a series. The conversation then explores using a hyperbolic substitution to solve the integral and arrives at a solution involving hyperbolic sines and cosines.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper
Integral with sq. root in it...again

Homework Statement

Find..
[tex]\int x^\frac{3}{2}\sqrt{1+x} dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I used the fact that:

[tex]\sqrt{1+x}=\sum_{n=0} ^\infty \frac{(-1)^n(2n!)x^n}{(1-2n)(n!)^24^n}[/tex]

and well I just multiplied by [itex]x^\frac{3}{2}[/itex]

so I integrated:
[tex]\int \sum_{n=0} ^\infty \frac{(-1)^n(2n!)x^(n+\frac{3}{2}}{(1-2n)(n!)^24^n}[/tex]

and got [tex]\sum_{n=0} ^\infty \frac{(-1)^n(2n!)x^(n+\frac{5}{2}}{(1-2n)(n!)^24^n\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]

[itex]\frac{2x^\frac{5}{2}}{5}\sqrt{1+x}[/itex] which is wrong because if i differentiate it I get an extra term in it

Physics news on Phys.org
That Series is only valid for |x| < 1. I would let [itex]x= \sinh^2 u[/itex]

that hyperbolic substitution throws me off as it kinda made it harder for me

With that substitution I get: [tex]2\int \sinh^4 u \cosh^2 u du[/tex], which I believe is possible through methods similar to its circular trigonometric counterpart.

EDIT: I've just done it, its not as easy as I thought but it is possible. Express all the squares in terms of double angle formula. You should get an answer with an x term, and the hyperbolic sines of 2x, 4x and 6x.

Last edited:

1. What is an integral with square root in it again?

An integral with a square root in it again is an integration problem that involves a square root function within the integrand. This means that the function being integrated has a square root expression in it, for example, ∫√(x^2 + 1) dx.

2. How do you solve an integral with square root in it again?

To solve an integral with a square root in it again, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. The specific method used will depend on the form of the integral and the algebraic manipulation needed to simplify it.

3. Can an integral with square root in it again be evaluated using a basic rule?

No, an integral with square root in it again cannot be evaluated using a basic rule. Unlike integrals with polynomial functions, there is no simple rule for solving integrals with square root functions. It requires more advanced techniques and algebraic manipulation to solve.

4. Why are integrals with square root in it again difficult to solve?

Integrals with square root in it again are difficult to solve because they involve a more complex integration process. The square root function makes it more challenging to manipulate and integrate the expression compared to integrals with simpler functions.

5. Are there any real-world applications of integrals with square root in it again?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of integrals with square root in it again. One example is in physics, where integrals with square root functions are used to calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of objects in motion. They are also used in calculating the area under a curve, which has applications in economics, statistics, and engineering.