Integral with transformations and bounded by x + y + z = 1

In summary: If somebody is forcing you to use the transformation, then I guess you are stuck with it. However, just doing repeated integrations in terms of x, y, z is much more straighforward.
Cyn

Homework Statement

I have a question. I need to know the integral dxdydz/(y+z) where x>=0, y>=0, z>=0.

Homework Equations

It is bounded by x + y + z = 1. The transformations I need to use are x=u(1-v), y=uv(1-w), z=uvw.

The Attempt at a Solution

y+z = uv. J = uv(v-v^2+uv)
So I get the integral (v-v^2+uv)dudvdw. But I don't know which bounds I need to use. Is this correct and how can I know the bounds?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyn said:
The transformations I need to use are x=u(1-v), y=uv(1-w), z=uvw
Does the exercise text prescribe this ? Your problem statement doesn't -- could you please post the full problem statement ?

For a start: If you can't write the bounds in terms of u, v and w, can you give them in terms of x, y and z ?

Cyn said:

Homework Statement

I have a question. I need to know the integral dxdydz/(y+z) where x>=0, y>=0, z>=0.

Homework Equations

It is bounded by x + y + z = 1. The transformations I need to use are x=u(1-v), y=uv(1-w), z=uvw.

So I get the integral (v-v^2+uv)dudvdw. But I don't know which bounds I need to use. Is this correct and how can I know the bounds?

If somebody is forcing you to use the transformation, then I guess you are stuck with it. However, just doing repeated integrations in terms of x, y, z is much more straighforward.

Likes FactChecker
It's a good idea to include the whole problem statement in the main body of you post. If a part of the problem statement is contained in the thread title, please repeat that part in the body of the Original Post.

Integral with transformations and bounded by x + y + z = 1

Cyn said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

1. What is the concept of an integral with transformations?

An integral with transformations involves changing the coordinates of an integral to simplify the calculation or to better understand the underlying geometric structure.

2. How is an integral with transformations related to the concept of boundedness?

An integral with transformations can help define the bounds of the integration by transforming the variables to a more easily defined region.

3. What is the significance of the equation x + y + z = 1 in this context?

The equation x + y + z = 1 represents the boundary or limit of the region being integrated over. In this case, it acts as a constraint for the values of x, y, and z that can be used in the integral.

4. How can one determine the bounds of the integral using transformations?

To determine the bounds, one can use a change of variables to transform the integral into a simpler form, such as a double or triple integral, and then use geometric or algebraic methods to find the bounds of the new variables.

5. What are some common examples of transformations used in integrals?

Some common examples of transformations used in integrals include substitution, polar coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and spherical coordinates.