1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral with transformations and bounded by x + y + z = 1

Tags:
  1. May 18, 2017 #1

Cyn

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a question. I need to know the integral dxdydz/(y+z) where x>=0, y>=0, z>=0.

2. Relevant equations
    It is bounded by x + y + z = 1. The transformations I need to use are x=u(1-v), y=uv(1-w), z=uvw.

3. The attempt at a solution
    y+z = uv. J = uv(v-v^2+uv)
    So I get the integral (v-v^2+uv)dudvdw. But I don't know which bounds I need to use. Is this correct and how can I know the bounds?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does the exercise text prescribe this ? Your problem statement doesn't -- could you please post the full problem statement ?

For a start: If you can't write the bounds in terms of u, v and w, can you give them in terms of x, y and z ?

4. May 18, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If somebody is forcing you to use the transformation, then I guess you are stuck with it. However, just doing repeated integrations in terms of x, y, z is much more straighforward.

5. May 18, 2017 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a good idea to include the whole problem statement in the main body of you post. If a part of the problem statement is contained in the thread title, please repeat that part in the body of the Original Post.

Integral with transformations and bounded by x + y + z = 1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted