1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral Word Problem EXACT PROBLEM Incluced

1. Apr 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is the problem:
    WordProblem.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can see that as x increases, the deeper the water gets, but I can't figure out my limits of integration.

If somecan just give me the limits, I think I would be all set.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2009 #2

jhae2.718

Gold Member

The depth of the pool is modeled by D(x)=1+x2/175.

According to the problem, the pool is 25 meters long. This is from the shallow end to the deep end.

Knowing that your interval should be as long as the length of the pool, what do you think you should use?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  4. Apr 25, 2009 #3
    The equation for depth involves x, the distance from the shallow end. The pool is 25 meters long. Given this information, what do you think the limits should be?

Edit: Whoops, a little late!

5. Apr 25, 2009 #4
    0 to 25?

6. Apr 25, 2009 #5

jgens

Gold Member

Yup.

7. Apr 25, 2009 #6

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Correct. Generally, whenever you need to integrate something of a fixed length l, your interval should be from 0 to l. This includes when finding area, volume, time, etc, which if you haven't done yet you will. You'll always get your interval from the problem; sometimes you may have to solve for your limits of integration.

8. Apr 25, 2009 #7
    thanks so much guys. Feel like an idiot.

Feels good to solve a problem.

thanks again. Will definitely post back again.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook