Integrals of (-3csc(theta))/(1+cos(theta))

• Thread starter Jessicamgray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the integration of (-3csc(theta))/(1+cos(theta)) can be approached by using a u-substitution with u=cos(theta) and then multiplying the numerator and denominator by sin(theta) to obtain du=sin(theta)dtheta. From there, you can try to use trigonometric identities to express the remaining functions in terms of u.
Jessicamgray

Homework Statement

integrate (-3csc(theta))/(1+cos(theta))

Homework Equations

i'm not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried using u sub. but i got nowhere.

U=1+costheta
Du=-sintheta

Physics news on Phys.org
Jessicamgray said:

Homework Statement

integrate (-3csc(theta))/(1+cos(theta))

Homework Equations

i'm not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried using u sub. but i got nowhere.

U=1+costheta
Du=-sintheta

The reason why your ##u##-sub doesn't get you anywhere (yet) is because (1) there isn't a ##\sin\theta## in the numerator and (2) we'd still need to deal with the ##\csc\theta##. I recommend that you

(1) Put a ##\sin\theta## in the numerator so that your ##u##-sub at least has a chance of working. Of course you can't just put one there, but you can multiply the integrand by ##\frac{\sin\theta}{\sin\theta}## so that there is one there.

(2) Write the ##\csc\theta## in terms of ##\sin\theta## and see if you can make something happen with what you end up with.

I'd try just u=cos(theta). Then since du=sin(theta)dtheta multiply numerator and denominator by sin(theta). That gives you your du. Now see if you can use trig identities to express the other functions of theta as u.

1. What is the formula for the integral of (-3csc(theta))/(1+cos(theta))?

The formula for the integral of (-3csc(theta))/(1+cos(theta)) is given by ∫(-3csc(theta))/(1+cos(theta)) dθ = -3ln|csc(theta) + cot(theta)| + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve integrals involving trigonometric functions?

To solve integrals involving trigonometric functions, you can use trigonometric identities and substitution. In the case of (-3csc(theta))/(1+cos(theta)), you can use the identity csc(theta) = 1/sin(theta) and substitute u = sin(theta) to simplify the integral.

3. What is the range of values for which this integral is defined?

The integral ∫(-3csc(theta))/(1+cos(theta)) dθ is defined for all values of theta except when cos(theta) = -1, which would result in division by zero. Therefore, the range of values for which this integral is defined is (-∞, -1) U (-1, ∞).

4. Can the integral of (-3csc(theta))/(1+cos(theta)) be evaluated using other methods?

Yes, the integral of (-3csc(theta))/(1+cos(theta)) can also be evaluated using partial fraction decomposition and integration by parts methods. However, substitution is often the most efficient method for this particular integral.

5. How can this integral be applied in real-world problems?

Integrals involving trigonometric functions, such as (-3csc(theta))/(1+cos(theta)), are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving motion, vibrations, and waves. They can also be used in mathematics to find the area under a curve or to solve differential equations.