1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals of Complex Functions

1. Nov 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose we have the function ##f : I \rightarrow \mathbb{C}##, where ##I## is some interval of ##\mathbb{R}## the functions can be written as ##f(t) = u_1(t) + i v(t)##. Furthermore, suppose this function is integral over the interval ##a \le t \le b##, which can be found by computing

##\int_a^b f(t) = \int_a^b u(t) + i \int_a^b v(t)##

Let ##c## be some arbitrary complex constant. Proof that ## c \int_a^b f(t) = \int_a^b c f(t)##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

## c \int_a^b f(t) = c \left[ \int_a^b u(t) + i \int_a^b v(t) \right] ##

## = c \int_a^b u(t) + ci \int_a^b v(t)##

Let ##c = a + bi##,

##c \int_a^b f(t) = (a+bi) \int_a^b u(t) + (a+bi) i \int_a^b v(t)##

##= a \int_a^b u(t) + bi \int_a^b u(t) + ai \int_a^b v(t) - b \int_a^b v(t)##

Here is where I had some trouble. The integrals of ##u(t)## and ##v(t)### are integrals of real-valued functions, and so I know that I can pass real-valued scalars through the integral sign; however, I do not know if I can pass ##i## through. I tried various manipulations, but all were positively unhelpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Passing i through is what you are asked to prove (for the case c = i), so it becomes a bit circular then, doesn't it ?

On the other hand, would you have a problem "passing i through" for a sum ? And an integral is the limit of a summation.

4. Nov 19, 2014 #3
    Yes, that it what I figured the trouble to be.

Hmmm, I am not sure. We have not yet viewed the integral as the limit of a sum yet, nor has the textbook represented it as such. There is obviously something elementary that I am missing.

Here is the textbook that we are using: http://www.jiblm.org/downloads/jiblmjournal/V090515/V090515.pdf

We are presently on chapter four, which begins on page 30. Perhaps you might see some theorem I am suppose to use. I will continue to scour through the text myself.

5. Nov 19, 2014 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Wow, there really isn't anything about riemann sums or anything...
    Anyways, there's a couple useful things (ones a definition and the other's a theorem) on the next couple pages. Try using those.

6. Nov 20, 2014 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since, in the notes, it says "the proof of this theorem is very straightforward" I wouldn't worry about "passing through" the factor i.

You could split in real part and imaginary part to verify.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted