Integrate $\Sigma \frac{1}{n!}\int z^{n}e^{1/z}dz$

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
HACR
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Integrate $\Sigma \frac{1}{n!}\int z^{n}e^{1/z}dz$

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Wrote out the first couple of terms, with $\frac{1}{z}=w$, making the integral $\Sigma \frac{1}{n!} (-w^{2-n}e^{w}+(2-n)(w^{1-n}e^{w}+(1-n)(w^{1-n}e^w)-(1-n)^2(w^(-n)e^w)...)$

But wasn't sure how to go from here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HACR said:

Homework Statement



Integrate [tex]\Sigma \frac{1}{n!}\int z^{n}e^{1/z}dz[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Wrote out the first couple of terms, with [itex]\frac{1}{z}=w[/itex], making the integral [tex]\Sigma \frac{1}{n!} (-w^{2-n}e^{w}+(2-n)(w^{1-n}e^{w}+(1-n)(w^{1-n}e^w)-(1-n)^2(w^(-n)e^w)...)[/tex]

But wasn't sure how to go from here.

Need to use tex delimiters and not $ as in:

[tex] \int[/tex]

Do a quote of my post to see that. Also, what happen to the integral signs. Would be easy if those were just integrations around closed contours about the origin. Otherwise, the antiderivatives are not elementary.
 
[tex] \Sigma \frac{1}{n!}\int z^{n}e^{1/z}dz [/tex][tex] \Sigma \frac{1}{n!} (-w^{2-n}e^{w}+(2-n)(w^{1-n}e^{w}+(1-n)(w^{1-n}e^w)-(1-n)^2(w^{-n}e^w)...) [/tex]

Sorry I was used to a different forum. Depending on the forum, a different style is used, I guess. Thanks for pointing this out.

Yes, the contour integration is done on a unit circle, |z|=1, but it's multiply connected because of the isolated singularity at the origin.
 
HACR said:
[tex] \Sigma \frac{1}{n!}\int z^{n}e^{1/z}dz [/tex]


[tex] \Sigma \frac{1}{n!} (-w^{2-n}e^{w}+(2-n)(w^{1-n}e^{w}+(1-n)(w^{1-n}e^w)-(1-n)^2(w^{-n}e^w)...) [/tex]

Sorry I was used to a different forum. Depending on the forum, a different style is used, I guess. Thanks for pointing this out.

Yes, the contour integration is done on a unit circle, |z|=1, but it's multiply connected because of the isolated singularity at the origin.

So you want to find:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}\mathop\oint\limits_{|z|=1} z^n e^{1/z}dz[/tex]

How about using the Residue theorem? You can do that easily (I think, haven't gone over all of it yet) by taking the residue at infinity.
 
Right, the residue is
[tex] \frac{1}{(n+1)!}[/tex]

So then the expression becomes
[tex]\Sigma \frac{1}{n!(n+1)!}[/tex]