Integrated Degrees - Are they worth it?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Hercuflea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary: For example, if you chose chemical engineering, you would be a professor in that field. But again, it's important to emphasize that this is just an assumption on my part, and there may be some restrictions or limitations that come along with this. I poured over the contents of that site earlier, and--from what I can tell--you get enough content knowledge to be a professor in the area of the "home unit" you choose to go into the program through. For example, if you chose chemical engineering, you would be a professor in that field. But again, it's important to emphasize that this is just an assumption on my part, and there may be some restrictions or limitations that come along with this.
Hercuflea
I was just looking at PhD. programs and I came across this:
http://www.cseprograms.gatech.edu/

I was wondering if "integrated" degree programs like the above one are worth the time? Apparently you can pick an area of concentration, but say if you chose chemistry or biology, could you actually call yourself a chemist or a biologist after completing the Ph.D.? Seeing as the Ph.D isn't actually in Chemistry, would you be able to get a job as a university professor of Chemistry if you chose the Chemistry concentration (or whatever other concentration)?

Or say if you chose an engineering concentration would you be qualified to take the engineering license exams and for certification as an engineer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Many moons ago I got my Master's from something similar, it was an "Integrated Manufacturing Systems Engineering" mix of Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial Engineering, plus Computer Science and Business.

It suited my personality very well. The alternative (at that university) was to pursue a MSME which under that administration was nothing more than an applied mathematics degree. I hated that. The degree I earned has been quite useful in my career because it was very broad. I never wanted to be narrowly-scoped in any job.

But industry DID NOT beat a path to my door because the degree was unusual and ahead of its time. I had to present myself, my qualifications, and sell my potential to future employers. If you don't have good self-promotion & sales skills, you may not reap the full benefit of a broader course of training.

tygerdawg said:
Many moons ago I got my Master's from something similar, it was an "Integrated Manufacturing Systems Engineering" mix of Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial Engineering, plus Computer Science and Business.

It suited my personality very well. The alternative (at that university) was to pursue a MSME which under that administration was nothing more than an applied mathematics degree. I hated that. The degree I earned has been quite useful in my career because it was very broad. I never wanted to be narrowly-scoped in any job.

But industry DID NOT beat a path to my door because the degree was unusual and ahead of its time. I had to present myself, my qualifications, and sell my potential to future employers. If you don't have good self-promotion & sales skills, you may not reap the full benefit of a broader course of training.

How about professorships? It seems like it would be hard to tell what the graduate really is. The PhD. is called Computational Science and Engineering, so would the graduate be a computer scientist, an engineer, a mathemetician, or something else? Or would he/she be qualified to be a professor in any of these areas?

Hercuflea said:
How about professorships? It seems like it would be hard to tell what the graduate really is. The PhD. is called Computational Science and Engineering, so would the graduate be a computer scientist, an engineer, a mathemetician, or something else? Or would he/she be qualified to be a professor in any of these areas?

I poured over the contents of that site earlier, and--from what I can tell--you get enough content knowledge to be a professor in the area of the "home unit" you choose to go into the program through.

I can say that integrated degrees can be a valuable option for those interested in pursuing interdisciplinary research and careers. These programs offer a unique opportunity to gain expertise in multiple fields and bridge the gap between different areas of study. However, whether or not they are worth the time and effort ultimately depends on your individual goals and aspirations.

In terms of job prospects, having an integrated degree may make you more competitive in certain industries where interdisciplinary knowledge is highly valued. However, it is important to note that the title of your degree does not necessarily determine your job title or career path. Employers are often more interested in the skills and knowledge you possess rather than the specific title of your degree.

Regarding the question of whether or not you can call yourself a chemist or biologist after completing an integrated Ph.D. program, it ultimately depends on the specific program and your area of concentration. While your degree may not have a specific title in chemistry or biology, the coursework and research you complete may still qualify you as a chemist or biologist. It is important to carefully review the program's curriculum and consult with faculty to determine if it aligns with your career goals.

Similarly, if you choose an engineering concentration, you may be qualified to take engineering license exams and obtain certification as an engineer. Again, it is important to carefully review the program's curriculum and consult with faculty to ensure that it meets the requirements for licensure and certification.

In summary, integrated degrees can be a valuable option for those interested in interdisciplinary research and careers. However, it is important to carefully consider your individual goals and the specific program to determine if it is the right fit for you.

1. What are integrated degrees?

Integrated degrees are academic programs that combine undergraduate and graduate coursework into a single curriculum. They typically take 4-5 years to complete and result in both a bachelor's and master's degree.

2. Are integrated degrees worth it?

This ultimately depends on your individual goals and circumstances. Integrated degrees can offer a more efficient and streamlined path to a higher degree, potentially saving time and money. They can also provide a competitive edge in the job market and open up more career opportunities. However, they may require a heavy workload and commitment, and may not be the best fit for everyone.

3. How do integrated degrees differ from traditional degrees?

Integrated degrees combine undergraduate and graduate coursework, while traditional degrees typically involve completing an undergraduate degree before pursuing a separate graduate program. This means that integrated degrees may require a higher level of academic rigor and have more advanced coursework.

4. Can I switch between an integrated degree and a traditional degree?

In most cases, it is not possible to switch between an integrated degree and a traditional degree. Integrated degrees have a specific curriculum and structure, and it may not be possible to transfer credits or switch programs without starting over.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing an integrated degree?

Some potential benefits of integrated degrees include a shorter time to degree completion, a more focused and specialized education, potential cost savings, and a competitive edge in the job market. They can also lead to more advanced career opportunities and may allow for a smoother transition into a graduate program without having to apply separately.