Integrating 1/(Z^2 + A^2) - something wrong?

• Thread starter Froskoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary: XZlciwgIkluIHN1bW1hcnkiLCBXaWxkIHdvcmsgcXVpdGUgYmVnaW5uaW5nIHRoZSB0d28gbWV0aG9kcyBpbnRlcmFjdGFsLCBidXQgc29tZXRoaW5nJ3MgZ29uZSByb25nIGFuZCBiYWQgYW4gZXh0cmEgZmFjdG9yIG9mIDEvc3F1cnQoMi10MikgYXQgdGhlIGZyb250LiB3
Froskoy

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2t^2+4} \mathrm{d}t[\tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int \frac{1}{Z^2+A^2} \mathrm{d}Z = \frac{1}{A} \arctan{(\frac{Z}{A})} + c[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Looks quite easy, but this is what's annoying me: the two methods below should be identical, but something's gone wrong and I can't work out what. For some reason, the second method gives an extra factor of 1/sqrt(2) at the front. Why aren't they both the same?

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2t^2+4} \mathrm{d}t = \int \frac{1}{(\sqrt{2t})^2+2^2} \mathrm{d}t = \frac{1}{2} \arctan {(\frac{\sqrt{2}t}{2})} + c[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2t^2+4} \mathrm{d}t = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{t^2+2} = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{2}} \arctan{(\frac{\sqrt{2} t}{2})}+c[/tex]

With very many thanks,

Froskoy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that c represents the same value in each?

Froskoy said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2t^2+4} \mathrm{d}t[\tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int \frac{1}{Z^2+A^2} \mathrm{d}Z = \frac{1}{A} \arctan{(\frac{Z}{A})} + c[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Looks quite easy, but this is what's annoying me: the two methods below should be identical, but something's gone wrong and I can't work out what. For some reason, the second method gives an extra factor of 1/sqrt(2) at the front. Why aren't they both the same?

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2t^2+4} \mathrm{d}t = \int \frac{1}{(\sqrt{2t})^2+2^2} \mathrm{d}t = \frac{1}{2} \arctan {(\frac{\sqrt{2}t}{2})} + c[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2t^2+4} \mathrm{d}t = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{1}{t^2+2} = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{2}} \arctan{(\frac{\sqrt{2} t}{2})}+c[/tex]

With very many thanks,

Froskoy.

You forgot to use [itex] \sqrt{2} dt[/itex] in the first integral.

RGV

1. What is the equation for "Integrating 1/(Z^2 + A^2) - something wrong"?

The equation for integrating this expression is ∫ 1/(Z^2 + A^2) dZ.

2. What is the domain and range of this equation?

The domain of this equation is all real numbers except for Z = ± A, and the range is all real numbers.

3. What is the process for integrating this expression?

The process for integrating this expression involves using a trigonometric substitution, specifically Z = A tanθ, to rewrite the equation in terms of θ. Then, using the trigonometric identity cos^2θ + 1 = sec^2θ, the equation can be simplified and integrated using basic integration rules.

4. Why does the equation involve a trigonometric substitution?

The equation involves a trigonometric substitution because it helps to simplify the equation and make it easier to integrate. By substituting Z = A tanθ, the expression can be written in terms of a single variable, θ, which can then be integrated using basic integration rules.

5. How do I know if I've made a mistake while integrating this expression?

If you've made a mistake while integrating this expression, you will likely end up with an incorrect solution or an equation that does not match the original expression. You can also check your answer by differentiating the integrated equation and seeing if it matches the original expression.