1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating a function from 0 to infinity correctly?

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to integrate the PLanck function to get the Stefan Boltzmann law. After factoring out constants, and substituting x = hv/kT I am left with the following integral:

B(T) = ∫ x3/(ex - 1) dx integrated from 0 to ∞

The next step in my notes is that the result of this integral is ∏4/15 and I have no idea how this is done!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried Wolfram with this and it gave such a complicated answer that I was even more confused - certainly it looked nothing like the one in the notes! I know asking for help shouldn't be my first resort, but have no idea how to begin tackling this I'm afraid.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2
    [tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3 dx}{e^x-1} =\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^{4-1} dx}{e^x-1} = \zeta (4)\Gamma (4) = \frac{\pi ^4}{90}\cdot 3! = \frac{\pi ^4}{15}[/tex]

cosmology at Chile University? ???

4. Apr 15, 2013 #3
    Ah, thanks for the help but I think that derivation is beyond the scope of this course. (certainly it's beyond me!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted