Solve Integral Equation: xe-axcos(x)dx from 0 to ∞

In summary: Sorry for the confusion!Oops, I meant integration by parts. Sorry for the confusion!In summary, we are given to evaluate the integral ∫xe-axcos(x)dx from x=0 to x=∞. After attempting to solve it using definite integration by parts and finding that method to be inefficient, we discovered that differentiating under the integral sign and using integration by parts were more efficient methods. Ultimately, we were able to solve the integral using both of these methods.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Solve from x = 0 to x = ∞, ∫xe-axcos(x)dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a solution for the integral ∫e-axcos(x)dx at the same limits, and I feel that the result might be of use, but have no idea how to manipulate the integral above such that I can use the result.

Here's what I tried so far,

Definite Integral by parts into

[x∫e-axcos(x)dx] - ∫ (∫e-axcos(x)dx) dx,

left hand term reduces to x(sinx - acosx) / [ eax(a2 + 1) ]

while the right term seems something that I can work with with some effort, the left is proving problematic with the x heading towards infinity. I felt that I needed to somehow prove that the left term tends to zero at infinity, and that I could try some nasty squeeze theorems on the trigo functions. However, this method doesn't seem to require the use of the result of the simpler integral; it doesn't feel quite right/efficient.

Assistance is appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
We are given to evaluate:

##\displaystyle I=\int_0^{\infty}xe^{-ax}\cos(x)\,dx=\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\int_0^{t}xe^{-ax}\cos(x)\,dx\right)##

If you already know:

##\displaystyle I_1=\int e^{-ax}\cos(x)\,dx##

Then you may use IBP, where:

##u=x\implies du=dx##

##dv=e^{-ax}\cos(x)\,dx\implies v=I_1##

What do you get when you substitute for ##I_1##?

MarkFL said:
We are given to evaluate:

What do you get when you substitute for ##I_1##?

Thanks for the reply,

May I ask if ##I_1## is referring to a definite or indefinite integral?

WWCY said:
Thanks for the reply,

May I ask if ##I_1## is referring to a definite or indefinite integral?

I intended it to refer to the indefinite integral.

MarkFL said:
I intended it to refer to the indefinite integral.

I have the expression:

(sinx - acosx) / [ eax(a2 + 1) ]

Is this what you meant?

Okay, so knowing (up to the constant of integration) that:

##I_1=\dfrac{\sin(x)-a\cos(x)}{e^{ax}\left(a^2+1\right)}##

Then what does our expression for ##I## become when applying IBP?

Use ##\cos x = \dfrac{e^{ix} + e^{-ix}}{2}##.

@WWCY, in the future, please post questions about integrals (and derivatives) in the Calculus & Beyond section, not the Precalc section.

WWCY said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I have a solution for the integral ∫e-axcos(x)dx at the same limits, and I feel that the result might be of use, but have no idea how to manipulate the integral above such that I can use the result.

while the right term seems something that I can work with with some effort, the left is proving problematic with the x heading towards infinity. I felt that I needed to somehow prove that the left term tends to zero at infinity, and that I could try some nasty squeeze theorems on the trigo functions. However, this method doesn't seem to require the use of the result of the simpler integral; it doesn't feel quite right/efficient.

I am surprised that you have not met one of the standard tricks used for such problems. If we let ##F(a) = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-ax} \cos(x) \, dx##, then---if we can differentiate inside the integral sign--- we have
$$ F^{\prime}(a) = \int_0^{\infty} \cos(x) \frac{\partial e^{-ax}}{\partial a} \, dx = - \int_0^{\infty} x e^{-ax} \cos(x) \, dx.$$
There are theorems available that justify interchanging ##\partial / \partial a## and ##\int##; you can look them up.

Last edited:
WWCY said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

So, you want to evaluate
$$\lim_{U \to \infty} \left. \frac{x ( \sin x - a \cos x) e^{-ax}}{a^2+1} \right|_0^{U}\hspace{2ex}?$$
For ##a > 0##, what is ##\lim_{U \to \infty} F(U) e^{-aU}## for any bounded function ##F(U)##? For ##a >0## what is
##\lim_{U \to \infty} U^n F(U) e^{-aU}## for any bounded function ##F(U)## and any finite ##n > 0##?

Hi everyone, I went to take a look differentiating under the integral sign, and found that to be so much more efficient in solving the problem. For good measure, I've also managed to sort it out using IBP.

Many thanks to everyone!

WWCY said:
Hi everyone, I went to take a look differentiating under the integral sign, and found that to be so much more efficient in solving the problem. For good measure, I've also managed to sort it out using IBP.

Many thanks to everyone!

What does "IBP" mean?

Likes epenguin
Ray Vickson said:
What does "IBP" mean?

I didn't dare ask. :redface:

Ray Vickson said:
What does "IBP" mean?

Oops, I meant integration by parts.

What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function within an integral sign. The goal is to find the function that satisfies the equation for a certain range of values. This type of equation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

How do you solve an integral equation?

To solve an integral equation, you need to use techniques from calculus, such as integration by parts, substitution, or partial fractions. You will also need to use properties of integrals, such as linearity and the fundamental theorem of calculus. In some cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution.

What is the range of integration in this specific equation?

The range of integration in this equation is from 0 to ∞ (infinity). This means that the function must be evaluated for all values from 0 to infinity in order to solve the equation.

What is the variable "a" in this equation?

The variable "a" in this equation is a constant, typically representing a rate or a coefficient. It can be any real number, and its value will affect the shape and behavior of the function being integrated.

What is the significance of solving this specific integral equation?

This integral equation may have practical applications in various fields, such as physics, economics, and statistics. Solving it may provide insight into the behavior of certain systems or help in solving other related equations. It also showcases the use of integration in solving real-world problems.