1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating a natural log in double integral

1. May 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{e^x}_{e^-x}[/itex][itex]\frac{lny}{y}[/itex]dydx

The attempt at a solution

So I am integrating ln(y)/y and I tried it by parts, first with u = ln(y), dv = 1/y, and therefore du = 1/y, and v = ln y

but if I use that I get

(ln(y))2-[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{lny}{y}[/itex] again.

So I tried switching u and v around. I got: u = 1/y, dv = ln(y) dy, du = 1/y2 and v = 1/y.

On that basis I get [itex]\frac{1}{y^2}[/itex]-[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{y^3}[/itex]|[itex]^{e^x}_{e^-x}[/itex]dx

and from there I get

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{y^2}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{4y^4}[/itex]|[itex]^{e^x}_{e^-x}[/itex]dx

But I have a sneaking suspicion I have done something horribly wrong. I see the integral I want as (ln(y))2/2. But that doesn't make sense to me.

So, I did something messed up. If someone could tell me where it is, that would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try substitution.

Let u = ln(y).

4. May 12, 2013 #3
    I did that the first time, and showed what I got. u=ln y so du = 1/y, correct? Or not? If that's so and I et dv = 1/y then v has to be ln y, no? "try substitution" is what I just did.

5. May 12, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No.

You tried integration by parts.

Do integration by substitution, with the substitution u = ln(y). No v is needed.

6. May 12, 2013 #5
    ah, i see (I was thinking u-substitutions in integration by parts) -- NOW It is a lot clearer. Thanks much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted