1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating a vector (Electromagnetism)

1. Jan 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given [itex]\textbf{E}(z,t) = E_{0}cos(kz+ωt)\textbf{i}[/itex]
    Find B

2. Relevant equations

∇ x E = -[itex]\frac{\partial\textbf{B}}{\partial t}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Taking the curl of [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex] gives [itex](0, -ksin(kz+\omega t), 0)[/itex]
    so
    [itex]\frac{\partial\textbf{B}}{\partial t} = (0,ksin(kz+\omega t),0)[/itex]

I'm not too confident integrating this, I got
    [itex]\textbf{B} = (f(z),-\frac{k}{\omega}cos(kz+\omega t), g(z)) + \textbf{c}[/itex]
    where c is a constant of integration.

Is this right? The next part of the question asks for the poynting vector and it seems like a lot of work calculating [itex]\textbf{E} \times \textbf{B}[/itex] , would i be allowed to set [itex]f = g = 0[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where did you get this "f(z)" and "g(z)"? The "constant" of integration is the vector c you have added.

4. Jan 7, 2014 #3
    Yeah thats what i'm confused about.
    My reasoning is that I have [itex]\frac{\partial \textbf{B}}{\partial t}[/itex] in terms of [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex], and since [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex] is a function of z and t I get the functions of z from partially integrating wrt t.
    Should they be 0?

5. Jan 7, 2014 #4
    Oh wait I think i just got it.
    I can put those functions of z into the arbitrary constant vector c can't I?

Thanks!

6. Jan 7, 2014 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

From the Faraday Law alone, we can in fact only conclude that
    [tex]\vec{B}(t,\vec{r})=-E_0 \frac{k}{\omega} \cos(\omega t+k z)+\vec{B}_0(\vec{r})[/tex]
    where [itex]\vec{B}_0[/itex] is an arbitrary static magnetic field.

From Gauss's Law for the magentic field we find
    [tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}_0=0.[/tex]

From the Maxwell-Ampere Law, assuming that there are no currents, we get
    [tex]\partial_t \vec{E}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B} \; \Rightarrow \; \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}_0=0.[/tex]
    Thus static magnetic field [itex]\vec{B}_0[/itex] is both source and vortex free. Thus if it should vanish at inifinity, it must be 0.

From these additional assumptions we get the usual plane-wave solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted