Integrating a vector (Electromagnetism)

In summary, static magnetic field in the vicinity of a current-free wire has a zero vector field at infinity.
raggle

Homework Statement

Given [itex]\textbf{E}(z,t) = E_{0}cos(kz+ωt)\textbf{i}[/itex]
Find B

Homework Equations

∇ x E = -[itex]\frac{\partial\textbf{B}}{\partial t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the curl of [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex] gives [itex](0, -ksin(kz+\omega t), 0)[/itex]
so
[itex]\frac{\partial\textbf{B}}{\partial t} = (0,ksin(kz+\omega t),0)[/itex]

I'm not too confident integrating this, I got
[itex]\textbf{B} = (f(z),-\frac{k}{\omega}cos(kz+\omega t), g(z)) + \textbf{c}[/itex]
where c is a constant of integration.

Is this right? The next part of the question asks for the poynting vector and it seems like a lot of work calculating [itex]\textbf{E} \times \textbf{B}[/itex] , would i be allowed to set [itex]f = g = 0[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get this "f(z)" and "g(z)"? The "constant" of integration is the vector c you have added.

Yeah that's what I'm confused about.
My reasoning is that I have [itex]\frac{\partial \textbf{B}}{\partial t}[/itex] in terms of [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex], and since [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex] is a function of z and t I get the functions of z from partially integrating wrt t.
Should they be 0?

Oh wait I think i just got it.
I can put those functions of z into the arbitrary constant vector c can't I?

Thanks!

From the Faraday Law alone, we can in fact only conclude that
[tex]\vec{B}(t,\vec{r})=-E_0 \frac{k}{\omega} \cos(\omega t+k z)+\vec{B}_0(\vec{r})[/tex]
where [itex]\vec{B}_0[/itex] is an arbitrary static magnetic field.

From Gauss's Law for the magentic field we find
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}_0=0.[/tex]

From the Maxwell-Ampere Law, assuming that there are no currents, we get
[tex]\partial_t \vec{E}=\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B} \; \Rightarrow \; \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}_0=0.[/tex]
Thus static magnetic field [itex]\vec{B}_0[/itex] is both source and vortex free. Thus if it should vanish at inifinity, it must be 0.

From these additional assumptions we get the usual plane-wave solution.

1. What is a vector in electromagnetism?

A vector in electromagnetism is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, and is used to represent physical quantities such as electric and magnetic fields. It follows the laws of vector algebra and can be represented graphically by an arrow pointing in the direction of its magnitude.

2. How do you integrate a vector in electromagnetism?

To integrate a vector in electromagnetism, you need to use vector calculus. This involves finding the integral of each component of the vector separately, and then combining them to find the total integrated vector. This process is used to calculate the total electric and magnetic fields in a given region.

3. What is the importance of integrating a vector in electromagnetism?

Integrating a vector in electromagnetism is important because it allows us to calculate the total electric and magnetic fields in a given region, which is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It also helps in solving various engineering problems related to electromagnetism.

4. When is it necessary to integrate a vector in electromagnetism?

Integrating a vector in electromagnetism is necessary whenever we want to calculate the total electric and magnetic fields in a given region. This is especially important in situations where the fields are changing with time, as in the case of electromagnetic waves, where integration is required to understand their propagation and behavior.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges to integrating a vector in electromagnetism?

There are some limitations and challenges to integrating a vector in electromagnetism, such as dealing with complex vector functions and dealing with non-linear systems. Additionally, the integration process can become more complicated in cases where the vector fields are not continuous or when dealing with complicated geometries. However, these challenges can be overcome with advanced mathematical techniques and computer simulations.