Integrating by partial fractions

In summary: Then you could proceed as normal.In summary, the author is having difficulty understanding the method in the book, and is seeking help from someone who could show him an easy route. He does not understand the example in the book where the author completes the square of the bottom, so he has trouble figuring out how to start the problem.
suspenc3
Hi, I'm having quite a bit of trouble with this topic. Here's one of the first problems, I don't really understand the method in the book, if someone could show me an easy route, it would help.

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \frac {2x+3}{(x+1)^2}dx[/tex]

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's faster not to use partial fractions in this case. You can let u = x + 1.

What don't you understand about the method in the book?

Notice that your integrand may be rewritten as:
[tex]\frac{2x+3}{(x+1)^{2}}=\frac{2x+2}{(x+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(x+1)^{2}}=\frac{2}{(x+1)}+\frac{1}{(x+1)^{2}}[/tex]

I just find that the examples don't really tell me that much, I understand what they do in the examples but then when I get to a question, I rarely never know how to start it.

arildno, is there a certain way that you came up with that, or do you just see it?

The certain way is 3=2+1
And yes, I "just see it". (As you should as well)

ok, so for this one:

[tex]\int \frac{x^2}{(x-3)(x+2)^2}dx[/tex]

would I start out like this:

[tex]\frac{A}{x-3} + \frac{B}{x+2} + \frac{C}{(x+2)^2}[/tex]

and then they would just be 1, x, x

Eeh?
What do you mean by 1,x,x??

A, B, and C must be constants (they can't be x). And you know one further thing: The sum you have there must be equal to the original fraction, i.e.
[tex]\frac{A}{x-3} + \frac{B}{x+2} + \frac{C}{(x+2)^2} = \frac{x^2}{(x-3)(x+2)^2}[/tex]

Multiply it out, and then you know something else: for this to be true for ALL x the constant terms must be equal on both sides, and so must the coefficients of x, and so must the coefficients of x^2. You will then have three linear equations to solve--namely those that equate the coefficients of each power of x.

An alternative way that can help you get A, B, and C more rapidly is that you can pick x to be anything you want in that equation, since the equation must be true for all x. So what happens if you multiply both sides by (x - 3) and then set x = 3?

Last edited:
ok, i think I am getting that part..I have another problem now, I am not sure if I am going about it the right way.

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x}{x^2 +4x +13}dx[/tex]

=[tex]\int_{0}^{1}1+[\frac{-x^2-3x-13}{x^2 +4x +13}]dx[/tex]..
in the book there is an example somewhat like this..they complete the square of the bottom..thats what i did and then substituted..i ended up with this so far:

[tex]x + \int \frac{-u^2+u-11}{u^2+9}du[/tex]

if this is right so far, do i just split this up into several fractions and then integrate, or is there more?

I am not familiar with the technique your book uses. Why did you split off the x? With u = x + 2, you could just turn your original integral into
[tex]\int_{2}^{3} \frac{u-2}{u^2 + 9}dx[/tex]
which isn't too hard to integrate.

Ortho: Not dx, but du..

so you can do that?its that easy?..why from 3 to 2?

this isn't the example..this is a question that resembles the example..this is the example..[tex]\int \frac{4x^2-3x+2}{4x^2-4x+3}[/tex]

arildno said:
Ortho: Not dx, but du..
Oh yeah, missed that.

suspenc3, it's from 2 to 3 because when you change from x to u(x), you change the limits from (a to b) to (u(a) to u(b)).

The original problem was
[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x}{x^2 +4x +13}dx[/tex]
Completing the square, x2+ 4x+ 13= (x+ 2)2+ 9. If you let u= x+ 2, then x= u- 2 so the integral becomes
[tex]\int_2^3\frac{u-2}{u^2+1}du[/tex]

To integrate that, separate it as
[tex]\int_2^3 \frac{u du}{u^2+1}+ \int_2^3\frac{du}{u^2+1}[/tex]
The first is an easy v= u2+ 1 substitution and the second is an arctangent.

I don't see any reason to take out that "1" in
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}1+[\frac{-x^2-3x-13}{x^2 +4x +13}]dx[/tex]

I wonder if the example you looked at didn't have a higher power of x in the numerator equal to that in the denominator, say
[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x^2}{x^2 +4x +13}dx[/tex].
Since to use partial fractions you have to have the denominator with degree larger than the numerator, the first thing you would do with that is divide to get 1+ ...

1. What is the purpose of integrating by partial fractions?

Integrating by partial fractions is a technique used to simplify and solve complex integration problems. It involves breaking down a fraction into smaller, simpler fractions in order to make the integration process easier.

2. When should I use integrating by partial fractions?

Integrating by partial fractions is most commonly used when the integrand (the function being integrated) is a rational function, meaning it is a fraction where both the numerator and denominator are polynomials. It is also useful when the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator.

3. How do I determine the partial fractions for a given rational function?

The first step is to factor the denominator of the rational function into its irreducible factors. Then, for each distinct factor, you will have a corresponding partial fraction with a constant in the numerator and the factor in the denominator. You can determine the value of the constant by equating the original rational function to the sum of the partial fractions and solving for the constant.

4. What are the different types of partial fractions?

There are three main types of partial fractions: proper, improper, and mixed. Proper fractions have a numerator with a degree less than the denominator, improper fractions have a numerator with a degree equal to or greater than the denominator, and mixed fractions have a polynomial in the numerator along with a proper fraction.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when integrating by partial fractions?

One common mistake is forgetting to include all of the distinct factors in the partial fraction decomposition. Another mistake is incorrectly solving for the constants, which can lead to incorrect results. It is important to carefully factor and simplify the rational function before setting up the partial fraction decomposition to avoid these errors.