1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating by partial fractions

1. Jun 26, 2006 #1
    Hi, I'm having quite a bit of trouble with this topic. Here's one of the first problems, I dont really understand the method in the book, if someone could show me an easy route, it would help.

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \frac {2x+3}{(x+1)^2}dx[/tex]

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

It's faster not to use partial fractions in this case. You can let u = x + 1.

What don't you understand about the method in the book?

4. Jun 26, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Notice that your integrand may be rewritten as:
    [tex]\frac{2x+3}{(x+1)^{2}}=\frac{2x+2}{(x+1)^{2}}+\frac{1}{(x+1)^{2}}=\frac{2}{(x+1)}+\frac{1}{(x+1)^{2}}[/tex]

5. Jun 26, 2006 #4
    I just find that the examples dont really tell me that much, I understand what they do in the examples but then when I get to a question, I rarely never know how to start it.

arildno, is there a certain way that you came up with that, or do you just see it?

6. Jun 26, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The certain way is 3=2+1
    And yes, I "just see it". (As you should as well)

7. Jun 26, 2006 #6
    ok, so for this one:

[tex]\int \frac{x^2}{(x-3)(x+2)^2}dx[/tex]

would I start out like this:

[tex]\frac{A}{x-3} + \frac{B}{x+2} + \frac{C}{(x+2)^2}[/tex]

and then they would just be 1, x, x

8. Jun 26, 2006 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Eeh???
    What do you mean by 1,x,x??

9. Jun 26, 2006 #8

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

A, B, and C must be constants (they can't be x). And you know one further thing: The sum you have there must be equal to the original fraction, i.e.
    [tex]\frac{A}{x-3} + \frac{B}{x+2} + \frac{C}{(x+2)^2} = \frac{x^2}{(x-3)(x+2)^2}[/tex]

Multiply it out, and then you know something else: for this to be true for ALL x the constant terms must be equal on both sides, and so must the coefficients of x, and so must the coefficients of x^2. You will then have three linear equations to solve--namely those that equate the coefficients of each power of x.

An alternative way that can help you get A, B, and C more rapidly is that you can pick x to be anything you want in that equation, since the equation must be true for all x. So what happens if you multiply both sides by (x - 3) and then set x = 3?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  10. Jun 26, 2006 #9
    ok, i think im getting that part..I have another problem now, im not sure if im going about it the right way.

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x}{x^2 +4x +13}dx[/tex]

=[tex]\int_{0}^{1}1+[\frac{-x^2-3x-13}{x^2 +4x +13}]dx[/tex]..
    in the book there is an example somewhat like this..they complete the square of the bottom..thats what i did and then substituted..i ended up with this so far:

[tex]x + \int \frac{-u^2+u-11}{u^2+9}du[/tex]

if this is right so far, do i just split this up into several fractions and then integrate, or is there more?

11. Jun 26, 2006 #10

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

I am not familiar with the technique your book uses. Why did you split off the x? With u = x + 2, you could just turn your original integral into
    [tex]\int_{2}^{3} \frac{u-2}{u^2 + 9}dx[/tex]
    which isn't too hard to integrate.

12. Jun 26, 2006 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ortho: Not dx, but du..

13. Jun 26, 2006 #12
    so you can do that?its that easy?..why from 3 to 2?

14. Jun 26, 2006 #13
    this isnt the example..this is a question that resembles the example..this is the example..[tex]\int \frac{4x^2-3x+2}{4x^2-4x+3}[/tex]

15. Jun 26, 2006 #14

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Oh yeah, missed that.

suspenc3, it's from 2 to 3 because when you change from x to u(x), you change the limits from (a to b) to (u(a) to u(b)).

16. Jun 27, 2006 #15

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The original problem was
    [tex]\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x}{x^2 +4x +13}dx[/tex]
    Completing the square, x2+ 4x+ 13= (x+ 2)2+ 9. If you let u= x+ 2, then x= u- 2 so the integral becomes
    [tex]\int_2^3\frac{u-2}{u^2+1}du[/tex]

To integrate that, separate it as
    [tex]\int_2^3 \frac{u du}{u^2+1}+ \int_2^3\frac{du}{u^2+1}[/tex]
    The first is an easy v= u2+ 1 substitution and the second is an arctangent.

I don't see any reason to take out that "1" in
    [tex]\int_{0}^{1}1+[\frac{-x^2-3x-13}{x^2 +4x +13}]dx[/tex]

I wonder if the example you looked at didn't have a higher power of x in the numerator equal to that in the denominator, say
    [tex]\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x^2}{x^2 +4x +13}dx[/tex].
    Since to use partial fractions you have to have the denominator with degree larger than the numerator, the first thing you would do with that is divide to get 1+ ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?