1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating complicated functions of time

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

m' = G O^1/2 m^(-1/2)

where m' = dm/dt. Find m by integrating this expression wrt to time (indefinite).

2. Relevant equations

We have G = m'/m

and O = constant/G^2

and m is a function of time m(t)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that integral of m'/m = ln m, so that means I can integrate the G part. I have tried to integrate O by taking the constant outside the integral, which leaves an integral of [1/(G^2)]^(1/2) or just [G^(-2)]^(1/2) or [(m'/m)^(-2)]^(1/2) I am not sure what form is easiest to work with, and have no idea how to start with this part! Could I use the substitution rule? I can't see how...

The last part is an integral of m^(-1/2) which is 2m^(1/2).

I also have no idea how to combine the three different parts together to give the final equation for the integral.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

First, put it all in terms of m and m'. If you know G in terms of m and m', and O in terms of G (which you know in terms of m and m'), then you can eliminate G and O, and get it in the form m' = f(m), where f is some function only of m (and perhaps some constants). Then you can integrate to find m in terms of t.

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3
    Thanks phyzguy. I have been having a go at that, a lot of the m terms cancel out, so I am left with

a' = a^(-0.5) {times a constant}

Again a is some function of time. How do I integrate this wrt time t, without knowing how a and t are related? I think I am looking for the opposite of the "total differential", where you can just put a'(t) to indicate the derivative of some arbitrary function a of t. How do I do this in integration?

5. Feb 7, 2012 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

If you have a' = a^(-n), then you can write:
    [tex] \frac{da}{dt} = a^{-n}[/tex]
    [tex]a^n da = dt[/tex]
    [tex]\int a^n da = \int dt = t + C [/tex]

Hopefully you can do the a integral, then solve for a as a function of t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook