Integrating complicated functions of time

In summary, the problem involves finding m by integrating the expression m' = G O^1/2 m^(-1/2) with respect to time. The constants G and O are related to m and m', and by eliminating them, the expression can be written as m' = f(m), where f is a function only of m. This can then be integrated to find m in terms of time.
ck99

Homework Statement

m' = G O^1/2 m^(-1/2)

where m' = dm/dt. Find m by integrating this expression wrt to time (indefinite).

Homework Equations

We have G = m'/m

and O = constant/G^2

and m is a function of time m(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that integral of m'/m = ln m, so that means I can integrate the G part. I have tried to integrate O by taking the constant outside the integral, which leaves an integral of [1/(G^2)]^(1/2) or just [G^(-2)]^(1/2) or [(m'/m)^(-2)]^(1/2) I am not sure what form is easiest to work with, and have no idea how to start with this part! Could I use the substitution rule? I can't see how...

The last part is an integral of m^(-1/2) which is 2m^(1/2).

I also have no idea how to combine the three different parts together to give the final equation for the integral.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, put it all in terms of m and m'. If you know G in terms of m and m', and O in terms of G (which you know in terms of m and m'), then you can eliminate G and O, and get it in the form m' = f(m), where f is some function only of m (and perhaps some constants). Then you can integrate to find m in terms of t.

Thanks phyzguy. I have been having a go at that, a lot of the m terms cancel out, so I am left with

a' = a^(-0.5) {times a constant}

Again a is some function of time. How do I integrate this wrt time t, without knowing how a and t are related? I think I am looking for the opposite of the "total differential", where you can just put a'(t) to indicate the derivative of some arbitrary function a of t. How do I do this in integration?

If you have a' = a^(-n), then you can write:
[tex] \frac{da}{dt} = a^{-n}[/tex]
[tex]a^n da = dt[/tex]
[tex]\int a^n da = \int dt = t + C [/tex]

Hopefully you can do the a integral, then solve for a as a function of t.

1. What is the purpose of integrating complicated functions of time?

Integrating complicated functions of time is a mathematical technique used to find the total change or area under a curve. It is often used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to solve problems involving motion, energy, and other dynamic systems.

2. How do you integrate a complicated function of time?

To integrate a complicated function of time, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the function and the desired outcome.

3. What are some common challenges when integrating complicated functions of time?

One common challenge is dealing with functions that cannot be integrated analytically, requiring the use of numerical techniques such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule. Another challenge is correctly setting up the limits of integration, which can be tricky for functions with multiple variables.

4. Can complicated functions of time be integrated using software?

Yes, there are numerous software programs and online calculators available that can integrate complicated functions of time. These tools use algorithms to approximate the integral and can handle a wide range of functions and variables.

5. Are there real-world applications of integrating complicated functions of time?

Yes, integrating complicated functions of time has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, in physics, it is used to calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time. In economics, it is used to determine the total profit or loss over a given period.