Integrating for area of intersection

In summary, when you integrate a function, you are basically summing all of the incremental area elements to get the total area. This is the same for indefinite integrals.
Rumplestiltskin
How does it work that you can subtract y2 from y1 and integrate the product within defined limits for the area of their intersection (within those limits)?
Maybe that's not the right terminology - you arrive at the area for the region bounded by both functions.

Is it just the same in practice as subtracting the integral of y2 from the integral of y1?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not 100% what you're asking, but it sounds to me like you are trying to find the area bound by the intersection of two curves. One thing you may have to consider is if they only intersect at two points within those limits. If they only intersect at two points within your limits, you can simply just do the integral of y2 minus the integral of y1. With y2 being the upper function on the graph.

462chevelle said:
I'm not 100% what you're asking, but it sounds to me like you are trying to find the area bound by the intersection of two curves. One thing you may have to consider is if they only intersect at two points within those limits. If they only intersect at two points within your limits, you can simply just do the integral of y2 minus the integral of y1. With y2 being the upper function on the graph.

How's that?

Untitled.png

Rumplestiltskin said:
How does it work that you can subtract y2 from y1 and integrate the product within defined limits for the area of their intersection (within those limits)?
Maybe that's not the right terminology - you arrive at the area for the region bounded by both functions.

Is it just the same in practice as subtracting the integral of y2 from the integral of y1?
Let's call the line f(x) and the curve g(x). Assuming that the line and curve intersect at a and b, the area of the region in blue is ##\int_a^b (f(x) - g(x)) dx##. This is exactly the same as ##\int_a^b f(x) dx - \int_a^b g(x)dx##, due to the linearity properties of the definite integral.

The product that you refer to is the area of the typical area element, ##\Delta A = (f(x) - g(x)\Delta x##. When you integrate, you are essentially summing all of these incremental area elements to get the total area.
Rumplestiltskin said:
How's that?

Untitled.png

Mark44 said:
Let's call the line f(x) and the curve g(x). Assuming that the line and curve intersect at a and b, the area of the region in blue is ##\int_a^b (f(x) - g(x)) dx##. This is exactly the same as ##\int_a^b f(x) dx - \int_a^b g(x)dx##, due to the linearity properties of the definite integral.

Due to the linearity properties of the definite integral?

Rumplestiltskin said:
Due to the linearity properties of the definite integral?
##\int_a^b (f(x) + g(x))~dx = \int_a^b f(x)~dx + \int_a^b g(x)~dx##
and
##\int_a^b k \cdot f(x)~dx = k\int_a^b f(x)~dx## where k is any constant
The same properties hokl for indefinite integrals, as well.

Mark44 said:
##\int_a^b (f(x) + g(x))~dx = \int_a^b f(x)~dx + \int_a^b g(x)~dx##
and
##\int_a^b k \cdot f(x)~dx = k\int_a^b f(x)~dx## where k is any constant
The same properties hokl for indefinite integrals, as well.

LOL. I take it I'm punching well above my weight again.

I think you aren't as confused as you think. He us just showing properties of the integral in a general sense. That way of writing might be intimidating if you don't have any formal knowledge on the subject.

1. What is "Integrating for area of intersection"?

"Integrating for area of intersection" is a mathematical process used to find the area of overlap between two or more curves or shapes. It involves using calculus to calculate the integral of the function that represents the intersection of the curves or shapes.

2. When is "Integrating for area of intersection" used?

"Integrating for area of intersection" is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to calculate the shared area between two or more objects or variables. It is also commonly used in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts.

3. How is "Integrating for area of intersection" different from finding the area under a curve?

While both processes involve calculating integrals, finding the area under a curve involves finding the total area under a specific curve, while "integrating for area of intersection" focuses on finding the shared area between two or more curves.

4. What are the steps involved in "Integrating for area of intersection"?

The first step is to identify the curves or shapes that are intersecting. Then, using calculus, you can find the equation of the curve that represents the intersection. Next, you integrate this equation to find the shared area. Finally, you can use the limits of integration to determine the specific area of intersection.

5. Are there any limitations to "Integrating for area of intersection"?

Yes, there are a few limitations. This method can only be used for finding the area of intersection between two or more curves or shapes. It cannot be used for finding the area of non-intersecting curves or shapes. Additionally, it may be challenging to integrate some equations that represent complex intersections, making it difficult to find the area accurately.