1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating on Compact Manifolds

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This problem is in Analysis on Manifolds by Munkres in section 25. [itex] R [/itex] means the reals
    Suppose [itex]M \subset R^m[/itex] and [itex]N \subset R^n[/itex] be compact manifolds and let [itex]f: M \rightarrow R[/itex] and [itex]g: N \rightarrow R[/itex] be continuous functions.

Show that [itex] \int_{M \times N} fg = [\int_M f] [ \int_N g ] [/itex]

The hint states to consider the case where supports of f and g are contained in coordinate patches.

2. Relevant equations
    I know the general formulation of integration over a compact manifold when the support of the function is contained in a single coordinate patch. Also, I know how to integrate functions on manifolds using partitions of unity.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the general idea. First I must prove that this holds when the support of f and g are in a single coordinate patch. Then using partitions of unity, I want to notice the integral is just the sum of integrals over finitely many coordinate patches. What I can't get is the part where the support of f and g are in a single coordinate patch:

Suppose [itex] supp(f) \subset V [/itex] with [itex] \phi : U \rightarrow V \subset M [/itex] and [itex] supp(g) \subset V' [/itex] with [itex] \psi : U' \rightarrow V' \subset N [/itex].

Then [itex] \int_{M\times N} fg = \int_{U \times U'} (fg) \circ (\phi\times\psi) V_k(\phi \times \psi) [/itex] but I don't know how to deal with this...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you just want to use Fubini's theorem. The integral of |fg| exists because f and g are continuous on compact sets, so they are uniformly continuous and bounded. Doesn't that work?

4. Mar 22, 2012 #3
    The problem is that I don't know how to split up the k-volume term and I don't know how to deal with phi x psi. Unless what I've done so far is completely wrong. I've been stuck for days now and I'm just frustrated and missing something obvious, I think.

5. Mar 22, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are over complicating it. If you are working on a single coordinate patch and you've applied a partition of unity then the functions you are integrating are continuous and the domains over which you are integrating have compact support. The Jacobean is differentiable. Everything is bounded. I think you can just say it's Fubini's theorem on R^m x R^n. I don't think you need to do anything complicated.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook