Integrating on Compact Manifolds

In summary, the problem is that the integrals are undefined when the support of the functions is in a single coordinate patch. The solution is to use a partition of unity.
AnalysisQuest

Homework Statement

This problem is in Analysis on Manifolds by Munkres in section 25. [itex] R [/itex] means the reals
Suppose [itex]M \subset R^m[/itex] and [itex]N \subset R^n[/itex] be compact manifolds and let [itex]f: M \rightarrow R[/itex] and [itex]g: N \rightarrow R[/itex] be continuous functions.

Show that [itex] \int_{M \times N} fg = [\int_M f] [ \int_N g ] [/itex]

The hint states to consider the case where supports of f and g are contained in coordinate patches.

Homework Equations

I know the general formulation of integration over a compact manifold when the support of the function is contained in a single coordinate patch. Also, I know how to integrate functions on manifolds using partitions of unity.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the general idea. First I must prove that this holds when the support of f and g are in a single coordinate patch. Then using partitions of unity, I want to notice the integral is just the sum of integrals over finitely many coordinate patches. What I can't get is the part where the support of f and g are in a single coordinate patch:

Suppose [itex] supp(f) \subset V [/itex] with [itex] \phi : U \rightarrow V \subset M [/itex] and [itex] supp(g) \subset V' [/itex] with [itex] \psi : U' \rightarrow V' \subset N [/itex].

Then [itex] \int_{M\times N} fg = \int_{U \times U'} (fg) \circ (\phi\times\psi) V_k(\phi \times \psi) [/itex] but I don't know how to deal with this...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you just want to use Fubini's theorem. The integral of |fg| exists because f and g are continuous on compact sets, so they are uniformly continuous and bounded. Doesn't that work?

The problem is that I don't know how to split up the k-volume term and I don't know how to deal with phi x psi. Unless what I've done so far is completely wrong. I've been stuck for days now and I'm just frustrated and missing something obvious, I think.

AnalysisQuest said:
The problem is that I don't know how to split up the k-volume term and I don't know how to deal with phi x psi. Unless what I've done so far is completely wrong. I've been stuck for days now and I'm just frustrated and missing something obvious, I think.

I think you are over complicating it. If you are working on a single coordinate patch and you've applied a partition of unity then the functions you are integrating are continuous and the domains over which you are integrating have compact support. The Jacobean is differentiable. Everything is bounded. I think you can just say it's Fubini's theorem on R^m x R^n. I don't think you need to do anything complicated.

Last edited:

1. What is a compact manifold?

A compact manifold is a type of mathematical space that is topologically equivalent to a finite-dimensional Euclidean space. It is a smooth, continuous space with no boundary and is locally similar to a sphere.

2. Why is it important to integrate on compact manifolds?

Integrating on compact manifolds allows us to calculate the volume or area of a space, as well as solve various mathematical equations. It is also a useful tool in physics and engineering, where many problems can be modeled as integrating over a compact manifold.

3. How is integration on compact manifolds different from integration on non-compact manifolds?

Unlike non-compact manifolds, compact manifolds have a finite volume or area, which makes it possible to calculate the integral using various techniques such as the Riemann sum or the Lebesgue integral. Integration on compact manifolds is also useful in solving differential equations and optimization problems.

4. What are some common applications of integrating on compact manifolds?

Integrating on compact manifolds has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in calculating the volume and surface area of objects, solving optimization problems, and simulating physical systems such as fluid flow or electromagnetic fields.

5. What are some techniques for integrating on compact manifolds?

There are several techniques for integrating on compact manifolds, including the Riemann sum, the Lebesgue integral, and the Monte Carlo method. Other techniques such as the Gaussian quadrature and the Simpson's rule are also commonly used for numerical integration on compact manifolds.