Integrating rational functions

In summary, a rational function is a function expressed as the ratio of two polynomial functions, where the denominator is not equal to zero. To integrate a rational function, factor the numerator and denominator, use partial fraction decomposition, and integrate each fraction separately. Partial fraction decomposition is a method used to express a complex rational function as a sum of simpler fractions. Not all rational functions can be integrated using algebraic methods and may require more advanced techniques such as trigonometric substitutions or integration by parts. Trigonometric substitutions are often used when the rational function contains a square root of a quadratic expression, while integration by parts is used for products of two functions or difficult to factor denominators.
Miike012
Question:
When determining the coefficients of the partial fractions for say 5 or more coefficients... Do you find it easiest to set up linear equations and solving? Any advice would be appreciated...

Next question.. look in paint doc... why would I3 not be equal to I21??

Attachments

• I Q.jpg
    I Q.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
Question:
When determining the coefficients of the partial fractions for say 5 or more coefficients... Do you find it easiest to set up linear equations and solving? Any advice would be appreciated...

Next question.. look in paint doc... why would I3 not be equal to I21??

regarding your 2nd question, because a^2+b^2≠(a+b)^2

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a function that can be expressed as the ratio of two polynomial functions, where the denominator is not equal to zero.

2. How do you integrate rational functions?

To integrate a rational function, first factor both the numerator and denominator into their simplest forms. Then, use partial fraction decomposition to rewrite the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions. Finally, integrate each fraction separately.

3. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used to express a complex rational function as a sum of simpler fractions. This is done by breaking down the function into its basic components, such as linear or quadratic factors, and writing each term as a separate fraction.

4. Can all rational functions be integrated?

Not all rational functions can be integrated using algebraic methods. Some require more advanced techniques, such as trigonometric substitutions or integration by parts.

5. How do you know when to use trigonometric substitutions or integration by parts?

If the rational function contains a square root of a quadratic expression, it is often best to use trigonometric substitutions. Integration by parts is usually used when the rational function contains a product of two functions, or when the denominator cannot be easily factored.