Integrating Recurrence Formula for x_n = n^{-1} - 7x_{n-1}

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
QCM~
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi guys. I'm having a bit of trouble with what I thought was a simple math question.

Homework Statement


[itex]x_{n}[/itex] = [itex]\int_0^1 \frac{t^n}{t+7}dt[/itex]

Show that [itex]x_0[/itex]=ln(8/7) and [itex]x_n = n^{-1} - 7x_{n-1}[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

Showing x0 = ln(8/7) is a vanilla textbook log question. I'm having trouble with the second part. I am using integration by parts on the form:
[itex]\int^1_0 t \frac{t^{n-1}}{t+7}dt[/itex]
and letting u=t and dv=[itex]\frac{t^{n-1}}{t+7}dt[/itex]
This give:
[itex]tx_{n-1}|^1_0 - \int_0^1 x_{n-1} dt\\<br /> = x_{n-1} - \int_0^1 x_{n-1} dt[/itex]

at which point I'm stuck. I'm not sure if I've used the right IBP substitution or if I'm just almost there and it's just a case of simplifying what I have into a more general case (but can't see it).

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still trying to figure it out using IBP, but try using long division on the integrand instead to arrive at a recursive relationship for the quotient. Then integrate.
 
Last edited:
Very astute! I don't think integration by parts leads anywhere. You might change your post to just the hint, "try long division" instead of giving the whole solution. It's more subtle.
 
Thanks Dick. And yes, I suppose you're right. I just edited it.