Integrating Sums (Laplace Transform)

I'm not sure what you mean. s is the integration variable. But you don't want to integrate, you want to replace p(t) with the sum you wrote.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

Using:
[tex]
\mathcal{L}\big\{t^n\big\}=\frac{n!}{s^{n+1}}\text{for all s>0}[/tex]
Give a formula for the Laplace transform of an arbitrary nth degree polynomial
[tex]
p(t)=a_0+a_1t^1+a_2t^2+...+a_nt^n[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\mathcal{L}=\lim_{b\rightarrow\infty}\int_{0}^{b}p(t)e^{-st}dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that the function p(t) is a sum and can be expressed as:
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_it^i[/tex]
And integration gives:
[tex] \lim_{b\rightarrow\infty}\int_{0}^{b}\Bigg(\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_it^i\Bigg)e^{-st}dt[/tex]

I'm not quite sure what to do next, I don't recall if I can move the integral and limit inside of the summation or not without being arrested by the math police for violating math laws.

Physics news on Phys.org
rmiller70015 said:

Homework Statement

Using:
[tex]
[tex]

Homework Equations

For this problem, I don't see that this equation is actually relevant. You're supposed to use the equation given at the beginning of your post, in the problem statement.
In any case, what you wrote here is roughly the defintion of the Laplace Transform. It should actually be written as
$$\mathcal{L}[p(t)]=\lim_{b\rightarrow\infty}\int_{0}^{b}p(t)e^{-st}dt$$
rmiller70015 said:

And integration gives:
[tex] \lim_{b\rightarrow\infty}\int_{0}^{b}\Bigg(\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_it^i\Bigg)e^{-st}dt[/tex]
Again, use the equation at the top, not the definition. The only other thing you need is that ##\mathcal{L}[af(t)] = a\mathcal{L}[f(t)]##, where a is a constant. IOW, the Laplace transform of a constant times a function is the constant times the Laplace transform of a function. If you need to prove this, it's simple to do using the L.T. definition.
rmiller70015 said:
I'm not quite sure what to do next, I don't recall if I can move the integral and limit inside of the summation or not without being arrested by the math police for violating math laws.

Likes rmiller70015
rmiller70015 said:

Homework Statement

Using:
[tex]
[tex]

Homework Equations

And integration gives:

Of course you can: the sum has a finite number of terms, and the integral of a sum is the sum of the integrals---basic calculus 101. You can sometimes have problems with trying to interchange integration and summation, but only when the summations have infinitely many terms (i.e., are infinite series).

Likes rmiller70015
So then I pull out the a constants from the 3
Mark44 said:
For this problem, I don't see that this equation is actually relevant. You're supposed to use the equation given at the beginning of your post, in the problem statement.
In any case, what you wrote here is roughly the defintion of the Laplace Transform. It should actually be written as
$$\mathcal{L}[p(t)]=\lim_{b\rightarrow\infty}\int_{0}^{b}p(t)e^{-st}dt$$
Again, use the equation at the top, not the definition. The only other thing you need is that ##\mathcal{L}[af(t)] = a\mathcal{L}[f(t)]##, where a is a constant. IOW, the Laplace transform of a constant times a function is the constant times the Laplace transform of a function. If you need to prove this, it's simple to do using the L.T. definition.
That's the problem I was thinking I had to use the definition of a Laplace transform to answer this not just a table of transforms or in this case the one they gave us. If that's the case I just get:
[tex]a_n\frac{n!}{s^{n+1}}[/tex]

rmiller70015 said:
So then I pull out the a constants from the 3

That's the problem I was thinking I had to use the definition of a Laplace transform to answer this not just a table of transforms or in this case the one they gave us. If that's the case I just get:
[tex]a_n\frac{n!}{s^{n+1}}[/tex]
No, that's not the answer. And I didn't suggest that you use a table of transforms. What I said was, use the equation you posted in your problem statement.

What I meant was in this part of the chapter the book likes to ask us to use the integral definition of a transform but on this problem they do not specifically ask that. Also I was too hasty when writing this I guess. What I wrote down on paper was [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_i\frac{i!}{s^{i+1}}[/tex]

Edit: to n not infinity

rmiller70015 said:
What I meant was in this part of the chapter the book likes to ask us to use the integral definition of a transform but on this problem they do not specifically ask that.
But they specifically ask that you use the formula you wrote at the top.
rmiller70015 said:
Also I was too hasty when writing this I guess. What I wrote down on paper was [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_i\frac{i!}{s^{i+1}}[/tex]
Looks good.
rmiller70015 said:
Edit: to n not infinity

Likes rmiller70015

What is the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

What is the purpose of integrating sums in the Laplace Transform?

Integrating sums in the Laplace Transform allows for the evaluation of complex functions that cannot be easily solved using other methods. It also helps in simplifying and solving differential equations.

How do you perform the Laplace Transform on an integrating sum?

To perform the Laplace Transform on an integrating sum, you need to first apply the linearity property of the transform. Then, use the integration property to transform the sum into a single function. Finally, use the transform table to evaluate the transformed function.

What are the benefits of using the Laplace Transform for integrating sums?

The Laplace Transform offers several benefits for integrating sums, including simplifying complex functions, solving differential equations, and providing a more efficient and accurate method for solving problems in engineering and physics.

Are there any limitations to using the Laplace Transform for integrating sums?

While the Laplace Transform is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for all types of functions, and it requires a good understanding of complex numbers and properties of the transform. It also may not provide an exact solution in some cases and may require further manipulation or approximation methods.