1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating the Complex conjugate of z with respect to z

1. May 19, 2009 #1
    Im doing a bit of contour integration, and a question came up with a term in it am unsure of how to do: in its simplest form it would be

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\bar{z}[/tex]dz

where z is a complex number and [tex]\bar{z}[/tex] is it's conjugate. Hmm i can't get the formatting to work out properly.. :S

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are integrating over a circular contour of radius R then zz*=R^2, so z*=R^2/z. Otherwise you just have to take the contour and write it as z=(x(t)+iy(t)), so z*=(x(t)-iy(t)).

4. May 19, 2009 #3
    Well now i feel kind of stupid... its line intergration, not contour integration :P the question reads:

Evaluate the integral:

[tex]\int[/tex]( [tex]\bar{z}[/tex] +1 ) dz
    L

Where L is the line segment from -i to 1+i.

normally i would just integrate and sub in start and end point, but i have totaly drawn a blank on what to do with the conjugate in this case...

5. May 19, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just treat it as a complex line integral. You can only 'sub in' endpoints if the function you are integrating is analytic and has an antiderivative. (z*+1) doesn't. Parametrize L as a function of t and integrate dt. Like I said, if you have z=(x(t)+iy(t)) then z*=(x(t)-iy(t)).

6. May 19, 2009 #5
  7. May 19, 2009 #6
    I think it's time i went to sleep... Yeh now that you mention the lack of anti-derivative i knew that. I think a good nights sleep will prepare me better for this exam than grinding my head into non-exsistant problems...

sorry to waste your time with inane questions lol... Thanks for the prompt responces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook