What is the Conjugate of sin(z)?

• Thread starter J.L.A.N.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjugate
In summary, the problem is to express sin\overline{z} and \overline{sinz} in terms of the equation sinz = \frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}. However, I don't know how to write the conjugate of \frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}.
J.L.A.N.
The problem is to show [itex]sin\overline{z} = \overline{sinz}[/itex]. What I need is help to get going.We know that [itex]sinz = \frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}[/itex]I can't see the first step in this. What I've tried to do is expressing [itex]sin\overline{z} [/itex] and [itex] \overline{sinz} [/itex] in terms of the above equation, but I don't know how to write the conjugate of [itex]\frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}[/itex]. Of course I know the conjugate of a regular complex number, [itex]\overline{z} = x - iy[/itex]. How do these relate?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, that's what I did. But it doesn't take me anywhere: What I get is [itex] \overline{sinz} = \overline{\frac{cosz+isinz-cos(-z)-isin(-z)}{2i}} [/itex]. And I don't see how I could turn that into the form [itex] \overline{z} = x-iy [/itex]. Let alone [itex] \frac{cos\overline{z}+isin\overline{z}-cos(-\overline{z})-isin(-\overline{z})}{2i} (= sin\overline{z}) [/itex].

Last edited:
Can you simplify cos(-z)? What about sin(-z)?

Now, you know that the conjugate of a complex number a+ib is a-ib, so what you need to do is to make sure you always convert it into the form a+ib, remembering that a and b can any complicated expression, as long as you have the real numbers on one side (a) and then the imaginary numbers (b) all multiplied by i.

So for example, if I had 1+ix+ex-i.cos(x) then to find the conjugate I'd first group all real terms and then all imaginary terms like so:

(1+ex)+i(x-cos(x))

Which then the conjugate is

(1+ex)-i(x-cos(x))

So for your problem, you also have the issue that i is in the denominator. How can we get rid of that?

J.L.A.N. said:
Indeed, that's what I did. But it doesn't take me anywhere: What I get is [itex] \overline{sinz} = \overline{\frac{cosz+isinz-cos(-z)-isin(-z)}{2i}} [/itex]. And I don't see how I could turn that into the form [itex] \overline{z} = x-iy [/itex]. Let alone [itex] \frac{cos\overline{z}+isin\overline{z}-cos(-\overline{z})-isin(-\overline{z})}{2i} (= sin\overline{z}) [/itex].

This line of thinking is not going to get you anywhere, because after simplification, you're going to end up with the trivial identity [itex]\sin z = \sin z[/itex].

Better to start with [itex]z = x + yi[/itex], where x and y are real, then use the angle sum identity for sine to work out [itex]\overline{\sin z}[/itex] and [itex]\sin{\overline{z}}[/itex] and prove they're equal. You'll need to use hyperbolic trig functions to simplify the circular trig ratios for the imaginary part [itex]yi[/itex].

You do not need to use z=x+iy. Start with the conjugate of sin(z). You get the conjugate by changing i to -i and z to [itex]\bar {z}[/itex].

ehild

ehild said:
You do not need to use z=x+iy. Start with the conjugate of sin(z). You get the conjugate by changing i to -i and z to [itex]\bar {z}[/itex].

ehild

How exactly would one simplify sin(z) here, then get its conjugate?

EDIT: I guess you mean he would apply this step to: [itex]\sin z = \frac{e^{iz} - e^{-iz}}{2i}[/itex]?

Then my question is: can you apply such an operation without a general proof?

It would be sufficient to prove that [itex]\overline{e^{iz}} = e^{-i\overline{z}}[/itex]. But as far as I know, this is not a result that can be assumed without proof.

Last edited:
Well, when I studied complex numbers it was shown to us that we get the conjugate of anything by changing i to -i and the variables to their conjugate. Anyway, the conjugate of a sum is the sum of conjugate, and it is the same with a product. eiz was defined with its Taylor expansion, which contains products and a sum.

But the conjugate of eiz is easy to derive.

[tex]e^{iz}=e^{i(x+iy)}=e^{ix-y}=e^{-y}(cosx+isinx)[/tex]

[tex]\overline{e^{iz}}=\overline{e^{-y}(cosx+isinx)}=e^{-y}(cosx-isinx)=e^{-y}(cos(-x)+isin(-x))=e^{-y-ix}=e^{-i(x-iy)}=e^{-i\bar{z}}[/tex]

ehild .

Curious3141 said:
Then my question is: can you apply such an operation without a general proof?
Depends on the class, I suppose. My first thought was the same as ehild's, but only the OP can tell us if that would be an appropriate proof.

I think the simple proof I have shown is taught when the function eiz is defined in classes.

ehild

OK, thanks, I guess it's up to the poster to tell us if he can actually use that without proof.

By the way, when does [itex]\overline{f(z)} = f({\overline{z}})[/itex]? It's certainly true for all polynomial functions. By extension, I guess any function that has a Taylor series also satisfies this criterion. Can you think of any counterexamples?

J.L.A.N. said:
The problem is to show [itex]sin\overline{z} = \overline{sinz}[/itex]. What I need is help to get going.

We know that [itex]sinz = \frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}[/itex]

I can't see the first step in this. What I've tried to do is expressing [itex]sin\overline{z} [/itex] and [itex] \overline{sinz} [/itex] in terms of the above equation, but I don't know how to write the conjugate of [itex]\frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}[/itex]. Of course I know the conjugate of a regular complex number, [itex]\overline{z} = x - iy[/itex]. How do these relate?

You want to know how to find the conjugate of [itex]sinz = \frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}[/itex]

I'd do it as

[tex]sinz* = \frac{e^{iz}+e^{-iz}}{2i}[/tex]

all you do is change the sign. It is similar to

[tex]cos \theta = \frac{e^{i\theta} + e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]sin \theta = \frac{e^{i\theta} - e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/tex]

help1please said:
You want to know how to find the conjugate of [itex]sinz = \frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}[/itex]

I'd do it as

[tex]sinz* = \frac{e^{iz}+e^{-iz}}{2i}[/tex]

all you do is change the sign.

This is wrong.

It is similar to

[tex]cos \theta = \frac{e^{i\theta} + e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/tex]

Right, but irrelevant.

[tex]sin \theta = \frac{e^{i\theta} - e^{-i\theta}}{2}[/tex]

Also wrong (denominator should be 2i).

J.L.A.N. said:
but I don't know how to write the conjugate of [itex]\frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}[/itex].

[tex]\overline{\left(\frac{z}{w}\right)} =\frac{\overline{z}}{\overline{w}}[/tex]

and:

[tex]\overline{z-w}=\overline{z}-\overline{w}[/tex]

There you go then:

[tex]\overline{\left(\frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}\right)}= \frac{\overline{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}}{\overline{2i}}= \frac{\overline{\left(e^{iz}\right)}-\overline{\left(e^{-iz}\right)}}{-2i}[/tex]

and it's not hard to musscle-through the conjugate of the exponents:

[tex]\overline{\left(e^{iz}\right)}=\overline{e^{-b}\left(\cos(a)-i\sin(a)\right)}=e^{\left(\overline{iz}\right)}=e^{-i\overline{z}}[/tex]

You can finish it.

Edit: Sorry, just saw others did similar and can't delete it.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
By the way, when does [itex]\overline{f(z)} = f({\overline{z}})[/itex]? It's certainly true for all polynomial functions. By extension, I guess any function that has a Taylor series also satisfies this criterion. Can you think of any counterexamples?

What about f(z)=1 if Im(z)≥0 and f(z)=0 if Im(z)<0? The conjugate of f(z) is itself, but f*(u+iv)=f(u+iv)≠f(u-iv).

ehild

ehild said:
What about f(z)=1 if Im(z)≥0 and f(z)=0 if Im(z)<0? The conjugate of f(z) is itself, but f*(u+iv)=f(u+iv)≠f(u-iv).

ehild

Ha ha, I guessed it had to be a "weird" function like that! :tongue:

Well, my Math knowledge is very rusty. What can be the name of those functions for which f*(z)=f(z*)?

ehild

ehild said:
Well, my Math knowledge is very rusty. What can be the name of those functions for which f*(z)=f(z*)?

ehild

Umm... "conjugal functions"? They're loads of fun, just like conjugal visits in prison. :tongue2:

Curious3141 said:
This is wrong.

Right, but irrelevant.

Also wrong (denominator should be 2i).

I apologize, there should have been an imaginary number in the denominator.

However I don't see how it is irrelevant. If they want to conjugate the equation they gave, we are talking about a simple sign change. Why would that be wrong?

What is the conjugate of sin(z)?

The conjugate of sin(z) is cos(z), also known as the cosine function.

How is the conjugate of sin(z) related to the original function?

The conjugate of sin(z) is the complex conjugate of the original function, meaning that the imaginary component of the function is negated while the real component remains the same.

What is the graph of the conjugate of sin(z)?

The graph of the conjugate of sin(z) is identical to the graph of cos(z), with the real axis representing the cosine values and the imaginary axis representing the sine values.

Why is the conjugate of sin(z) important in complex analysis?

The conjugate of sin(z) is important in complex analysis because it allows for the simplification of complex trigonometric expressions and can be used to find the real and imaginary parts of a complex function.

Are there any special properties of the conjugate of sin(z)?

Yes, the conjugate of sin(z) has the property that its square is equal to the modulus (absolute value) squared of the original function, meaning that |sin(z)|^2 = |cos(z)|^2 = 1.