Integrating to find the volume of a finite region

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
james525
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Find the volume of the finite region enclosed by the surfaces z = 0 and
x2 + y2 + z = 1

I know I have to do triple integration on dV to accomplish this but do not know where to start and what limits to use for x, y and z?

Cheers guys
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi james! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
james525 said:
I know I have to do triple integration on dV to accomplish this but do not know where to start and what limits to use for x, y and z?

no, it's symmetric, so you can get away with a single integration! :wink:

first sketch the region (so that you know what it looks like), then slice it into very thin slices whose area you already know :smile: