Integrating to find the volume of sphere

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the volume of a sphere by using the rule of rotating the area between the curves of f(x) and g(x). The relevant formulas are given, and the attempt at a solution involves integrating and finding the area of a cut-off circle using polar coordinates. The goal is to find the volume of the object with the top of the sphere cut off.
mimi.janson

Homework Statement

Hi I have a question about integrating to find the volume of a sphere but before that i need to tell all other results i got or it will not make sence.

1. I needed to show how you get the formula for finding the volume of a sphere by the help of a cirkle with radius r . I used the rule "The volume of the solid formed by rotating the area between the curves of f(x) and g(x)"

I solved it by integrating and got the result volume =4/3 π*r3

2. I had to find the volume if the height h i from 0 to 2r. (which means the whole sphere)
I know the result is (π/6)*h*(3*a2+h2), because the formula was in my book. But i need to use the same rule of rotating the area around the x axsis, but i don't know how i can do it that way?

3. I had to find the radius if v is 2500. here i just put the v into the formula and isolated r which i got to be 8,4

Besides that i need to show a graph of V as the function of h which i don't know how i can

Homework Equations

1. relevant formula v=(4/3)*π*r3
2. relevant formulav=(π/6)*h*(3*a2+h2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i attemted to find the solution for nr.2 by integrating √r2-x2 since that is the normal ecuation for a circle.

y=f(x)=∏∫ from 0 to 2r (√r2-x2 )^2 dx where i tried to make it shorter by trying to get rid of the ^2

but when i did i got (√r2-x2 )-(√r2-x2 ) and to be honest i feel quite a bit lost in this

for showing the graph i have to say that v(h) is on the y-axis and h is on the x-axis but i don't get what is v(h) and how to find h alone in this

please i would be gratefull for some help

Attachments

• sphere.png
    sphere.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmm. So you've already used rotation of the circle around the x-axis to get the full volume of the sphere. But now, the problem is that they want you to integrate only only up to a certain height, so the top of the sphere is going to get cut off, right? (I attached a picture of what I think it looks like, tell me if I've not got it right). So anyway, you need to find the area of this shape, then use rotation of that around the x-axis to get the volume of the object.

So to begin with, you need to find the 2d area of a 'cut-off circle'. You don't need to think about volumes straight away. It still takes a bit of work to find the area of a 'cut-off circle' (If you haven't memorised the equation for it). And I should use the correct terminology, sorry. I think the bit being cut-off is called a circle segment, to use the proper word :) Anyway, I think there are a few ways to solve for it. Are you familiar with polar coordinates?

Attachments

• partsphere.png
    partsphere.png
    1 KB · Views: 471

1. How do you integrate to find the volume of a sphere?

The integral formula for finding the volume of a sphere is V = ∫∫∫ dV = ∫∫∫ r^2 sin(θ) dr dθ dφ, where r is the radius of the sphere and θ and φ are the angles in spherical coordinates. This integral can be solved using techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

2. What is the difference between integrating to find the volume of a sphere and using the volume formula (4/3)πr^3?

Integrating to find the volume of a sphere is a more general method that can be used for any shape, not just a sphere. It involves breaking down the shape into infinitesimally small pieces and summing them up to find the total volume. The volume formula (4/3)πr^3 is a specific formula that only works for spheres and does not involve the integration process.

3. Can you explain the concept of integration in simpler terms?

Integration is essentially the opposite of differentiation, which is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function. Integration involves finding the area under a curve or the volume of a shape by dividing it into smaller parts and adding them up. It is often used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to solve problems involving continuous quantities.

4. Are there any limitations to using integration to find the volume of a sphere?

One limitation is that it can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially for more complicated shapes. It also requires a good understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. Additionally, integration may not work for shapes with irregular or undefined boundaries.

5. How is integration used in real-world applications to find the volume of a sphere?

Integration is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving volumes and areas. For example, it can be used to calculate the volume of a water tank, the amount of material needed to construct a spherical dome, or the volume of a medicine capsule. It is also important in understanding fluid dynamics and calculating the volume of fluids in a container or a pipeline.